EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
JANUARY 11, 1999
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 7:00 PM by Supervisor, Jim Boggio
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Boggio, John Clarkson, Gerald Johnson, Donald Keith, Jeane Olson
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
MINUTES: MM/S Olson/Keith to approve the December minutes - Vote 5-0
An Addendum was added and reads as follows: Jeep Fire Truck. Trustee Don Keith reported that he had been contacted by a Township resident advising that the Township’s Jeep fire truck on loan for display in the Calumet Fire Museum was being used as a personal vehicle by some Museum members. Don said he had visited the Museum and the fire truck was not there. Don said he contacted Museum secretary Clarence Monette who said he would review the matter with the Museum Board at its next meeting. Don said he was very confident that Mr. Monette would resolve the matter to the Township’s satisfaction.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Report dated December 1998 was accepted
APPROVAL OF BILLS: MM/S Keith/Clarkson to approve – Vote 5-0
SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE: No Comment
Volunteer Fire Department – Mike Radigan (Absent)
Water & Well-Head Protection Committee – John Wakeman (Absent)
Cemetery Committee – Ginny Shubert (Absent)
Solid Waste Committee – Bruce Olson – Nothing to report
Beach Committee – Vern Robinson (Absent)
Recreation Committee – Barbara Sickler (Absent)
Progress of Purchase of Fire Truck: George Hite reported on progress. (01/99)
Well-Head Protection (Property): No action taken. Tabled
Grand Marais (Goodell Road) Special Assessment: A resolution has been passed to set up a special assessment district for those property owners at Grand Marais of ½ mil over the next 5 years to cover maintenance of their private road. Tabled (11/98)
Assessor position: A service agreement has been negotiated with Matt Arko, the new appointed township assessor effective 02/01/99. Bob Taylor spoke about the agreement. (01/99)
Butcher-block Buffet table: Board would like to have a posting around town for bids. Tabled (11/98)
Water Department Manager Position: Don Keith has submitted a job description. Further action is pending. Tabled (11/98)
Mr. Filsinger’s two requests: The request for a water hook-up has been granted. The request to receive a set of encyclopedias given to him by his family has been granted. Tabled (11/98)
Hebard Park Plat: A committee, consisting of Jeane Olson and Bob Taylor, has been set up to work with the property owners to explore an assessor plat option. Gary Tallon will coordinate and assist in the communications of the property owners about this matter. Gary Tallon spoke. (01/99)
Township banking: First America Bank, now National City Bank, has shown significant service fee increases. A motion carried to designate D&N as the depository bank for four specified funds. Ann Johnson informed the board on this issue. (12/98) A motion was made by John Clarkson supported by Jeane Olson and Don Keith voted present. The motion is: the Township may wish to transfer all of their depository funds and does not want to be restricted to specific funds. (01/99)
- Township Insurance Review: Hannula sent list of current insurance coverage, board to make changes appropriately.
- Resolution for M-DOT Trunk Line Right a way: See resolution on file. Renewed and signed every year. A motion was made by John Clarkson supported by Jeane Olson. Roll call vote: Gerald Johnson, Don Keith, John Clarkson, Jim Boggio, Jeane Olson
- Township Attorney: Would like to go with Michigan Township Associate’s recommendation to hire a specialized attorney.
- Census: Township has been asked to assist the Census 2000. Updated lists need to be reviewed on a township level. Materials to be sent at the end of January. Jeane Olson spoke.
- Fund Raiser for Schoolhouse: A draft by Boggio asking for donations was read. An appeal for funds is requested. Board OK’d the use of this method to promote fundraiser.
- Special Grant Agreement Resolution Authorization on RD3570-3: A motion was made by John Clarkson, supported by Don Keith. Roll call vote: Gerald Johnson, Don Keith, John Clarkson, Jim Boggio, Jeane Olson
- Annual Audit Resolution: Two resolutions were passed. To provide an annual audit using the standards
G.A.G. AS. A motion was made by John Clarkson supported by Jeane Olson. Roll call vote: Gerald Johnson, Don Keith, John Clarkson, Jim Boggio, Jeane Olson
ADJOURNMENT: 8:45 PM MM/S Olson/Boggio – Vote 5-0
John M. Clarkson, Clerk Jim Boggio, Supervisor