REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
January 14, 2002
CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: The regular meeting of the Eagle Harbor Township Board was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on January 14, 2002 by Supervisor Douglas Sherk, at the Eagle Harbor Township Hall in Eagle Harbor. Supervisor Sherk led the Pledge of Allegiance.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Supervisor Sherk, Clerk Olson, Treasurer Johnson, Trustees Ellis and Lantz
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
AGENDA APPROVAL AND ADDITIONS –Supervisor Sherk suggested additions and revisions to the agenda:
Under new business:
Set Date for Budget Workshop
Possible Keweenaw County Ballot Proposals
Progress of Grant Applications (moved from Supervisor’s Remarks)
Letter on Solid Waste Fee
Under Supervisor’s Remarks
Grant Funds for Defibrillator- Sheriff Ron Lahti (moved from New Business)
Dick Lantz asked that the Date for the Agenda be changed to January 14, 2002
The agenda was approved with these additions and revisions.
CONSENT AGENDA APPROVAL
- Approve minutes from December 10, 2001 regular meeting
- Accept Treasurer’s Report
- Approve Payment of Bills
MM/S Lantz/Ellis to approve Consent Agenda as presented
5 Ayes, 0 Nays - Motion Carried
GRANT FUNDS FOR DEFIBRILLATOR - Keweenaw County Sheriff Ron Lahti talked on Training to use the defibrillator and when to purchase them. A reconditioned defibrillator costs $1800 and a new one runs about $2500. The Township has already committed to purchasing one defibrillator and seeking funding for at least one more. The training will be included in the first responder course that has 4 or 5 applicants and begins in March and runs until May 18. The cost of the course is $265 per person. The total estimated cost to train and outfit 4-5 first responders is estimated to be $7000-$8000. These First responders will be working under the Sheriff’s license and could be called out when needed.
SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE:
- Keweenaw County Board of Commissioners Meeting – Doug Sherk reported on the Keweenaw County Board of Commissioners Meeting that took place on January 8, 2002. Appointments were made to the Zoning and planning commission. Lack of support was expressed for the Townships Land Use Planning Efforts. The Township Board will investigate possible alternative options to accomplish our Land Use Plan.
- Electrical Transfer Switch – The Fire Department has a generator that could be used at the Township Hall in case of power outages. A transfer switch would have to be installed to use it. The cost of installing such a switch will be researched.
- Equalization Ratios - Assessor Matt Arko has met with the Board of Review to go over the assessed values for this year. Eagle Harbor Township’s assessed value is at 42.5% and it must be raised to 50%. Properties in Eagle Harbor Village, lakeshore properties and Gratiot Lake properties will receive a large share of the increase because they are presently under assessed.
- Miller Canfield Correspondence. – Supervisor Sherk reported that a letter has been received explaining their fee and services in the event that the VFD should receive another grant for a fire truck from Rural Development.
- Dick Supina Correspondence – Supervisor Sherk has received a letter from Dick Supina of Traverse Engineering on the possible consequences to our water system – if any - of draining and dredging Lake Eliza.
- Solid Waste Correspondence – We have received some letters from taxpayers who have deducted the amount of their solid waste assessment that is on the tax bill. This could result in a lien on their property. The Board will compose a letter informing these people that all of the legal steps were taken to establish the special assessment district and the special assessment is a legitimate charge.
BEACH COMMITTEE – Fred and Colleen Geis – No Report
CEMETERY COMMITTEE – Ginny Schubert – No Report
SEXTON COMMENTS –Mike Braman – No Report
COMMUNITY BUILDING – Nancy Clarkson – No report
HAZARD MITIGATION COMMITTEE – Kris Callog – The Committee will meet in February. Kris is taking a class that will enable her and her committee to develop a hazard mitigation plan.
HEBARD PLAT COMMITTEE – Jeane Olson – The committee will be meeting sometime before the end of January.
LAND USE COMMITTEE – George Hite – Presentation of a draft of the goals and strategies of the committee. George read the Vision Statement for Eagle Harbor Township. The Eagle Harbor Township Board will join the Committee at their next meeting on Tuesday, February 5 at 6 p.m. at the Township Hall.
911 COMMITTEE - Doug Schubert – No Report
PARK COMMITTEE – George Hite – Jim Rook will assist in identifying critical assets in the second piece of property that is being added to the Eagle Harbor Recreation Area. Rick Finke reported that the clearing at Eliza Lake is 99% finished and that now it is just a matter of cleaning up what has been cleared.
RECREATION COMMITTEE – Barb Sickler – No Report
SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE – Bruce Olson –No Report
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT – Mike Radigan – No Report
WATER COMMITTEE – John Wakeman – No Report
WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR – Rick Finke – Water Samples are OK. A meeting is set with Dick Supina.
WELLHEAD PROTECTION – Rick Finke – There will be a meeting sometime in June
- Clarification of Home Occupation in Zoning Ordinance – In response to a letter from Jane Pelto the Township will identify apparent home occupation type activities and let the Zoning Administrator determine if they are in violation of the zoning ordinance.
Dick Lantz will contact Bill Jacka to see what his schedule is.
- Review of Insurance by Bill Jacka –
- Dollar Limits on Capital Expense – To be handled by the Auditor
- Amendments to Land Ordinance – Tabled. Waiting for direction from Assessor.
– MM/S Lantz/Olson to finance the training and out of pocket expenses for up to 5 applicants. Vote 5-0 Motion Carried
- Cost and Financing of First Responder Course
MM/S Johnson/Ellis to finance the cost of equipment for those who complete the course. Equipment consists of a Radio, First Responder Kit, and oxygen bottle. Vote 5-0 Motion Carried. The estimated cost for training and outfitting would be $7000 to $8000.
- Annual Insurance Review by Hannula – Clerk Olson will contact Don Hannula to set up a review later this month. The VFD will be asked to send a representative and any other department may do the same.
- FOIA Requests. –Because we have occasional requests for large amounts of records that require a lot of time to research and reproduce, we need a written policy on handling Freedom of Information Requests. Samples of forms that can be used have been given to Board members. There is also a form to establish fees for copying, mailing and time involved. Board will address this issue at the February meeting.
- Resolution – US-41 as Scenic Byway - Resolution to support the application for designation of a portion US-41, the Copper Country Trail as a National Scenic Byway. MM/S Johnson/Olson. Roll call vote: Ayes – Lantz, Johnson, Ellis, Sherk, Olson; Nays - None
- Purchase of tools for General Maintenance – A list of tools needed for use in working on the park and recreation sites has been prepared by the Supervisor with the help of the Deputy Supervisor and The Michigan State Corrections Officer that supervises the prison labor. Rick Finke is working on cost estimates of the list of tools. The cost of most if not all of the tools will come from the Parks Development Fund. Some of the money in this fund is provided by the Land Division Fees.
- Progress of Grant Applications – Supervisor Sherk presented several options to apply for grants for lands to be added to the Eliza Lake Restoration project and for the Eagle Harbor Recreation Area. The Eliza Lake/Eliza Creek Restoration Project will ask for a grant to purchase Lot 12 of Eagle Harbor South so the Township will own all of the Lake Eliza Dam. The grant also asks for funds to drain and dredge the lake, restore the site and repair the dam. The project cost is $215,700 and the Township match would be $43,300. Resolution to support this project and apply for the grant was offered by Lantz and supported by Johnson. Roll call vote: Ayes – Olson, Ellis, Johnson, Sherk, Lantz. Nays – None. Dunes- Marshes Acquisition Project will ask for a grant to purchase 240 acres of land in section 11 and 120 acres in section 10 of T58-R31W for a total of 360 acres. This land would be an extension of the Eagle Harbor Recreation Area. The Project cost is $157,500 and the Township match would be $31,400. Resolution to support this project and apply for the grant was offered by Johnson and supported by Lantz. Roll Call vote: Ayes- Lantz, Ellis, Sherk, Johnson, Olson. Nays- None
- Budget Revisions-9 month budget revisions have been made. Copies of budget were given to all Board Members. Department heads and Committee Chairman can get copies of their budget from the office.
- Set Date for Budget Workshop – Budget workshop has been set for Wednesday, January 30, 2002 at 9 a.m. at the Township Hall.
- Savings Accounts – Treasurer Johnson will be transferring some funds to savings accounts to take advantage of the higher interest rate.
- Possible Keweenaw County Ballot Proposals – Don Keith proposed three ballot items for consideration.
- ½ mill for 2 years to raise required matching funds for grants to purchase recreational lands allowing public access forever.
- ¼ mills for 2 years for training and equipment of medical first responders working under Keweenaw County Sheriff.
- ¼ mill for 2 years to update county zoning ordinance by professional consults and effective enforcement. Public hearing required.
- There were no variance requests.
- There was no additional public comment.
- MM/S Johnson/Ellis to adjourn. Ayes - 5, Nays – 0 Meeting adjourned at 9:35 p.m.
Eagle Harbor Township Clerk
- CERTIFICATION –
I, the undersigned, Jeane Olson, the duly qualified and elected clerk for the Township of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Township Board of said Township at a regular board meeting held on the 10th day of December, 2001.
Eagle Harbor Township Clerk