REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
February 11, 2002
CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Supervisor Douglas Sherk, at the Eagle Harbor Township Hall in Eagle Harbor, called the regular meeting of the Eagle Harbor Township Board to order at 7:00 p.m. on February 11, 2002. Supervisor Sherk led the Pledge of Allegiance.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Supervisor Sherk, Clerk Olson, Treasurer Johnson, Trustees Ellis and Lantz
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
AGENDA APPROVAL AND ADDITIONS Supervisor Sherk suggested additions and revisions to the agenda:
Under Supervisors Remarks & Correspondence:
Add: Land Use Options
Junk Car & Hazardous Building Ordinance
MTA Notice Support for Recall Bill
WUPPDR Corridor Plan
Move: New Grant Projects to New Business
Under new business:
Add: Parks Tools & Equipment
Land Use Vision Statement
New Grant Projects/Non Grant Projects
MM/S Ellis/Johnson to accept the agenda with these additions and revisions. 5 Ayes, 0 Nays - Agenda was approved.
CONSENT AGENDA APPROVAL
- Approve minutes from January 14, 2002 regular meeting
- Approve Minutes of Special Meeting January 21, 2002 - Hannula Agency
- Approve Minutes of Special Meeting January 30, 2002 Budget Workshop
- Approve minutes of Special Meeting February 5, 2002 Joint Meeting /Land Use Committee
- Accept Treasurers Report
- Approve Payment of Bills
MM/S Lantz/Ellis to approve Consent Agenda as presented
5 Ayes, 0 Nays - Motion Carried
SUPERVISORS REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE:
- Equalization Ratios - Supervisor Sherk explained the process used to determine the equalization ratios for new SEV figures.
- Progress of Grant Applications The application process is moving along. Because of some problems with other properties in the project, we probably wont see any money until later this year.
- Statement on Land Use Planning Supervisor Sherk read a prepared statement on Land Use Planning in Eagle Harbor Township. A copy of the statement is attached.
- 2000 Census Correction Eagle Harbor Township has been notified that the Census Bureau has corrected the census count. We had requested a change of 99 people. The original count was a total of 281 and revised to 359 for a total change of 78 people.
- Request from Nancy Clarkson We have received a request from Nancy Clarkson to use the Solid Waste Building for storage of donated items for the community rummage sale in August. The Board felt there was limited space at the facility and that there probably would not be enough room for everything that would be collected. Nancy will be notified that she should look for additional storage space.
- Board of Review Dates - Eagle Harbor Township will hold Board of Review on:
March 11 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
March 13 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. and 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
These dates will be published. The five Townships rotate paying for the cost of the ad and 2002
Eagle Harbors year to pay for the ad.
- Senator Don Koivisto Letter Thanks for support for House Bill 4022, which would allow input by townships in setting certain speed limits.
- Land Use Options Other Townships are working to help ensure County Board acceptance of the land use planning being done by Townships and the Zoning and Planning Commission.
The national byway designation assures county and local government bodies will be involved in all management decisions that involve the US 41 Highway Corridor. It also brings additional resources and benefits with roadway and other enhancement improvements designed with the local communities management visions in mind.
RE: House Bill 5158, which will clarify when public officials can be recalled. The Board Supports this bill and will respond with a letter of support.
- Junk Car and Hazardous Building Ordinance the county has been asked to adopt a Junk Car and Hazardous Building Ordinance. There is a question as to whether the county can adopt an ordinance on its own. This is being investigated. Townships may have to adopt the ordinance individually.
BEACH COMMITTEE Fred and Colleen Geis No Report
CEMETERY COMMITTEE Ginny Schubert May Cleanup and Memorial Day Services to be scheduled
SEXTON COMMENTS Mike Braman No Report
COMMUNITY BUILDING Nancy Clarkson No report
HAZARD MITIGATION COMMITTEE Kris Callog The Committee met Feb 11 to prioritize risk areas in Eagle Harbor Township.
HEBARD PLAT COMMITTEE Jeane Olson The committee met Jan 31 with Bob Crampton to draft a cover letter to be attached to the Property Line Agreements, which were mailed by registered letter early in February.
LAND USE COMMITTEE George Hite A revised Vision Statement was given to the Board for their consideration. The new Vision Statement will be considered under New Business.
911 COMMITTEE - Doug Schubert Good News- the cutover to 911 should occur in the fall. Bad News-the Township will have to pay the cost of road signs estimated at $2000 to $3000.
PARK COMMITTEE George Hite No Report
RECREATION COMMITTEE Barb Sickler No Report
SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE Doug Schubert reported that the Solid Waste Committee was recommending a "Junk Jettison Day" in July. The Board will consider this under New Business.
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT Mike Radigan No Report
WATER COMMITTEE John Wakeman No Report
WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR Rick Finke Rick is attending a Well Head Protection Workshop in Mt. Pleasant.
WELLHEAD PROTECTION Rick Finke No Report
- Liability Limits on Insurance It has been recommended by our attorney that we raise our liability coverage to $5,000,000. We are now at $1,000,000. The cost to the Township would be approximately an additional $3000. Bill Jacka has a copy of our insurance policy but we do not have a recommendation from him yet. The Attorney suggested that we appoint a board member or deputy as ex-officio member of every committee to insure the committee is an official township committee. MM/S Johnson/Ellis to raise the liability insurance to $5,000,000. Ayes-5, Nays-0. Motion Carried.
We have an application for a grant for a Defibrillator. We will talk to Ron Lahti to see if he will help us with the information needed. The deadline for applying is April 22, 2002
- Grant Application for Defibrillator
- Establish Fees for FOIA Requests Clerk Olson presented a tentative resolution. The Board suggested some changes in the fee structure. A revised resolution and fee structure will be presented at the March Board Meeting.
- Amendments to Township Land Ordinance Revised Amendments to the Land Division Ordinance were presented. MM/S Olson/Johnson to rescind the previous amendments, which had not been published. Roll Call Vote: Ayes Johnson, Lantz, Sherk, Olson, Ellis Nays None. Motion Carried
MM/S Johnson/Ellis to adopt the new Amendments (Copy Attached) Roll Call Vote: Ayes Sherk, Ellis, Johnson, Lantz, Olson Nays None. The Amendments to the Ordinance were adopted.
MM/S Lantz /Johnson to adopt the Fee Resolution (Copy Attached) Roll Call Vote: Ayes Sherk, Olson, Johnson, Ellis, Lantz, Nays None. Resolution Adopted. These amendments will become effective upon publication.
Allouez Township Supervisor - Bill Loukkanen informed the Township of the Attorney Generals opinion on County Ordinances. County Prosecutor is looking into this matter. He also reported that the Land Use Plans of all townships would be read and considered by Keweenaw County Commissioners.
July Junk Jettison Day A proposal has been presented by the Solid Waste Committee to have a day for paid up taxpayers of Eagle Harbor Township to get rid of Junk Items normally not accepted at the Solid Waste Facility. Tires, motor oil, batteries and appliances such as ovens, refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers, dishwashers, and freezers will not be accepted. Each household will be allowed one pickup load free. Additional loads will be $25 each. For non-paid participants the fee will be $50 for each pickup load. The date set is Sunday July 28, 2002 from 9 to 4 p.m. MM/S Lantz/Ellis to have Junk Jettison Day. Ayes 5, Nays 0 Motion Carried.
- Possible Keweenaw County Ballot Proposals Commissioner Don Keith proposed three ballot items for consideration.
- ½ mill for 2 years to raise required matching funds for grants to purchase recreational lands allowing public access forever.
- Ό mills for 2 years for training and equipment of medical first responders working under Keweenaw County Sheriff.
- Ό mill for 2 years to update county zoning ordinance by professional consults and effective enforcement. Public hearing required.
- The board felt that since there was no plan in place yet these proposals might be premature.
MM/S Lantz/Ellis to support the proposals. Ayes-0, Nays-5 The Supervisor will inform Commissioner Keith of the Boards Decision.
- Additional Applicant for First Responder Course. There have been six applicants for the first responder course. The Board originally approved the funds to train and outfit 5 applicants. The amount of Funds budgeted for the training and outfitting should be sufficient to cover an additional applicant. MM/S Johnson/Lantz to increase the number to 6. Ayes 5, Nays 0 Motion Carried.
- Communication Test Costs for Fire Department MM/S Johnson/Ellis to allocate $125 from the General Fund to pay for computer testing of radio system for Volunteer Fire Department; providing it is not a duplication of 911 testing and that we receive a map of the covered areas. Ayes 5, Nays 0 Motion Carried.
- Electrical Service at Old Pump House MM/S Johnson/Lantz to allocate $1000 to inspect, rewire if needed and reconnect the electrical power at the old pump house. This will allow the building to be used for tool storage and as a workshop for the prisoners. Ayes 5, Nays-0 Motion Carried.
- Budget Adjustments/Set Budget Hearing MM/S Lantz/ Johnson to set the Budget Hearing for fiscal year 2002-2003 Monday, March 11, 2002 at 6:30 p.m. at the Eagle Harbor Township Hall. Ayes 5, Nays 0 Motion Carried. Budget adjustments will be made at that time.
- Land Use Vision Statement MM/S Olson/Johnson to accept the Land Use Committee Vision Statement, Objectives and Strategies as our recommendations to WUPPDR for land use planning. Ayes 5/ Nays 0 Motion Carried. MM/S Lantz/Ellis to send a copy to WUPPDR as our recommendations and a copy to the Zoning and Planning Commission and our County Commissioner for informational purposes. Ayes 5, Nays- 0 Motion Carried
- Parks Tools & Equipment MM/S Olson/Ellis to use up to $2200 of the Parks budget for tools needed to work on the preparing the park property. This does not include the lawnmowers that were on the original list. Ayes 5, Nays 0 Motion Carried.
- Grant Proposals and New Projects Supervisor Sherk requested input to identify and prioritize projects, some of which could involve grants. The first priority was to develop a master plan and start development on the new park area. Construction of a two car garage at the solid waste site to house the Water Department Truck, the snowmobile, Lawn Tractor, etc. was rejected. Other possible storage sites should be considered since the long range plan is to build a new fire hall and have the township use the existing fire hall for storage. Other projects suggested were beach upgrade, finger docks at the marina, refurbishing the second floor of Schoolhouse/Community Building including a fire escape, and more sand for the beach.
- There were no variance requests.
- There was no additional public comment.
- MM/S Olson/Ellis to adjourn. Ayes - 5, Nays 0 Meeting adjourned at 9:40p.m.
Eagle Harbor Township Clerk
I, the undersigned, Jeane Olson, the duly qualified and elected clerk for the Township of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Township Board of said Township at a regular board meeting held on the 11th day of February, 2002.
Eagle Harbor Township Clerk