EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
March 8, 1999
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 7:00 PM by Supervisor, Jim Boggio
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Boggio, John Clarkson, Donald Keith, Jeane Olson
MEMBERS ABSENT: Gerald Johnson
APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING: Two corrections to the spelling of Art Arnson’s name. MM/S Clarkson/Olson
TREASURER’S REPORT: Report dated February 1999 was accepted
APPROVAL OF BILLS: MM/S Keith/Olson to approve – Vote 5-0
SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE: No comments
Volunteer Fire Department – Mike Radigan (Absent) – Mike is attending a county 911 meeting tonight.
Water & Well-Head Protection Committee – John Wakeman – Nothing to report
Cemetery Committee – Ginny Shubert (Absent)
Solid Waste Committee – Bruce Olson – Nothing to report
Beach Committee – Vern Robinson (Absent)
Recreation Committee – Barbara Sickler (Absent)
Progress of Purchase of Fire truck: George Hite reports that (9) bids have been sent out so far and are due back by 2 p.m. March 29, 1999.
Well-Head Protection: Grant has been approved for installation of three more test wells. The grant money can not be used for the purchase of land, as previously intended.
- Grand Marais (Goodell Road) Special Assessment: A resolution has been passed to set up a special assessment district for those property owners at Grand Marais of ˝ mil over the next 5 years to cover maintenance of their private road. (11/98)
- Butcher-block Buffet table: Board would like to have a posting around town for bids. (11/98)
- Water Department Manager Position: Bruce Le Blanc and Rich Harrer have showed an interest in applying. Interviews will be forthcoming.
- Mr. Filsinger’s two requests: The request for a water hook-up has been granted. The request to receive a set of encyclopedias given to him by his family has been granted. (11/98)
- Hebard Park Plat: The committee is drafting bid specs and instructions to be sent out to surveyors. 73% favorable responses have now been received from the property owners. The committee is waiting for information regarding special assessments, etc. from MTA attorneys.
- Census 2000: The township will be reviewing a compiled list of the first phase collection of census 2000 information. Jeane Olson will be spear-heading this task. (1/99)
- Budget Meeting Workshop: Public hearing was held March 8 at 6:30 p.m. prior to the regular township meeting regarding the proposed 1999-2000 operating budget.
- Special Election for Renewal of Township Fire Protection Mileage: A motion to set up a special election for the "renewal" of a 1 mil for 3 years Township Fire Protection Mileage on July 27, 1999, Tuesday was approved. A motion was made by Clarkson supported by Olson.
- Approval of 1999-2000 Operating Budget: A motion was made by Clarkson supported by Keith.
- Water Ordinance Revision to W-003, W-002 (on file): a motion to approve was made by Olson, supported by Keith. Necessary publications to the ordinance will be published in the local newspaper.
- Village Water Main System: A letter of estimate has been received from Traverse Engineering to extend the existing 8’’ water main from 6th Street to M-26. No action was taken.
- Recreation Acquisition of Land: A letter has been received from the Keweenaw County Board of Commissioners and Zoning/Planning Commission informing us that the acquisition of land in Eagle Harbor near Lake Eliza and Eliza Creek is part of the Keweenaw County Recreation Plan. The township is currently applying for a 1999 Recreation Grant to purchase portions of three sections of property near Lake Eliza. A public hearing is required to be held this month. A date will be published.
- Schoolhouse Restoration Fundraising: Boggio read a letter he is using to help raise funds for the restoration project. Donations have been received already.
- Schoolhouse Restoration: Bids to be solicited to update the electrical system, other improvements needed for this project.
- Oath of Office of Deputy Treasurer, Nancy Wakeman: Clarkson administered the oath, in the township office, during the township meeting.
ADJOURNMENT: 8:01 p.m. MM/S Olson/Keith – Vote 5-0
John M. Clarkson, Clerk Jim Boggio, Supervisor