EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
MARCH 9, 1998
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 7:05 PM by Supervisor, Jim Boggio
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Boggio, John Clarkson, Donald Keith, Gerald Johnson
MEMBERS ABSENT: Nancy Sherk
MINUTES: Motion to approve the February minutes by Keith, supported by Johnson, vote unanimous.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Reviewed and accepted the February & March treasurer’s report.
APPROVAL OF BILLS: Added one bill of $31.86 to cover the cost of the Board of Review lunch out of the General Fund. Reviewed; motion to approve, Johnson, supported by Keith, vote unanimous.
SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE:
Volunteer Fire Department - Mike Radigan (Absent)
- Don Keith presented the VFD’s request to have a firetruck that uses ‘diesel’ gasoline opposed to ‘regular’ gasoline.
Water & Well-head Protection Committee - John Wakeman (Absent)
- An explanation of ‘well-head’ protection was given per public request by Boggio
Cemetery Committee - John Pippenger (Absent)
Solid Waste Committee - Bruce Olsen
- G. Kingstrom, representative from Eagle River, has requested a shared interest in our solid waste disposal system for their town. The committee has discussed it and decided to work further with them on this matter. No further decisions were made.
Beach Committee - Vacant
Recreation Committee - Barb Sickler (Absent)
- Garbage Fee Collection: It was decided to remove this topic from ‘old business’ at this time.
- Progress of VFD special assessment for purchase of new pump tank firetruck: Board needs specifications for the chasis before dates of public hearings can be set. Boggio will speak to Mike Radigan about this.
- Part-time/full-time Maintenance Person: Boggio reported to the board that there were 12 inquires for the positions, with (2) formal resumes. The committee has recommended that John Clarkson be the person for the Maintenance Person and Clarence Bach to be the person for the Solid Waste Facility.
A back-up person was suggested to relieve Clarence as needed. A motion to accept the above was made by Keith, supported by Johnson and Boggio. Clarkson obstained.
- Keweenaw Youth Academy: Advisory rep, V. Jamison, was asked by the board to ask if the Youth Academy clients would be available as summer help.
- Construction of township restroom: A draft plan has been drawn.
- Water Fund Quarterly Fee: Board to take action on the continuance/discontinuance of this fee after the water committee has met and discussed this issue.
- Appointment of Bank, Attorney, and Auditor for the 1998-9 year: First of America as our bank, Mr. Mechlin, as our attorney (of Vairo, Mechlin, Tomasi, Johnson & Manchester) and Mr. Jukari, as our auditor. Motion to accept, Johnson, supported by Keith, vote unanimous.
- Renewal of Operating Millage: Motion to conduct an election (to be held June 13, 1998) to renew
the 1998-2000 Operating Millage was made by Keith, supported by Clarkson, vote unanimous
- Election of Trustee: There will be an election for the vacancy created from the resignation of Peter
Van Pelt during the August 4th Primary and General Election of November 3rd. Motion to place this
issue on the ballot was made by Clarkson, supported by Johnson, vote unanimous. Those interested
in running are to file a petition, by May 12, 1998, which can be obtained from the Township Clerk.
- Jampot: The board wishes to express no opposition in the recent issuance of a special use permit. Motion by Keith, supported by Clarkson, vote unanimous: The Eagle Harbor Township Board affirms the right of the Society of St. John at Jacob’s Falls to open their new chapel to public religious worship. We welcome their contribution to making this township a better place to live. Approval by roll-call vote: Johnson, aye, Clarkson, aye, Keith, aye, Boggio, aye, Sherk, absent
- Approval of 1998-9 budget: Motion to approve the 98-9 budget was made by Johnson, supported by Clarkson, vote unanimous.
ADJOURNMENT: 8:25 PM Motioned by Johnson, supported by Keith, vote unanimous
John M. Clarkson, Clerk Jim Boggio, Supervisor