EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
MARCH 12, 2001
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 7:00 P.M. by Supervisor Jim Boggio
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Boggio, Jeane Olson, Ann Johnson, Dick Lantz and Tom Ellis
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PEVIOUS MEETING:
MM/S Lantz/Johnson to approve February 12, 2001 minutes. Vote 5-0
MM/S Ellis/Lantz to accept report dated February 2001
APPROVAL OF BILLS: MM/S Lantz/Olson– Vote 5-0
SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE: The Board of Review had a busy day Monday, March 6, 2001, hearing assessment protests from Eagle Harbor property owners.
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT –Mike Radigan-Absent-No report
911 COMMITTEE - Doug Schubert – Absent – No Report
WATER COMMITTEE – John Wakeman – Absent – No Report
WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR – Rick Finke – We have saved 350,000 gallons of water since the new system was finished last summer.
WELLHEAD PROTECTION – Rick Finke – There will be a meeting in May-Date to be set.
CEMETERY COMMITTEE – Ginny Schubert – Absent – MM/S Lantz/Ellis to amend the cemetery ordinance to include an interment fee of $50 for burials after July 1 2001.
SEXTON COMMENTS – No sexton – Job opening has been posted.
SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE – Bruce Olson – No Report
BEACH COMMITTEE – Fred Geis – Absent – No Report
RECREATION COMMITTEE – Barb Sickler – Absent – No Report
George Hite – Jim Boggio reported on George Hite’s
Minutes of the Park Planning committee. Copy Attached
LAND USE COMMITTEE – Doug Sherk – Reported on the Census done by the Land Use Committee. Copy attached
- Relocation of mailboxes – Patty Asselin, Chairman was absent – Report given by Supervisor Boggio – A bank of 18 mailboxes would cost $800 plus the cost of a cement pad to put them on. The Board felt that most residents would not be receptive to the cost. There will be no further action taken on this project.
- Federal Surplus Program – Tom Ellis is still investigating the procedure to enable us to have access to the Surplus Facility in Marquette.
Budget for Fiscal Year 2001-2002 – MM/S Ellis/Lantz to approve the budget for 2001-2002. Vote 5-0. A hearing was held at 6:30 before the regular meeting.
- Township Board meeting Dates – Jeane Olson reported that County Commissioner Don Keith had asked that the Board consider changing the dates of the Board meeting so it would not conflict with the County Appropriations Committee Meeting. After some discussion it was decided to keep our meetings on the second Monday of the month. MM/S Olson/Lantz Vote 5-0.
Meeting Dates for 2001-2002 are as follows:
April 9, 2001 October 8, 2001
May 14, 2001 November 12, 2001
June 11, 2001 December 10, 2001
July 9, 2001 January 14, 2002
August 13, 2001 February 11, 2002
September 10, 2001 March 11, 2002
Meetings are held at 7 p.m. at the Township Hall on Center Street except
for the months of July and August when the meetings will be held at the
Schoolhouse/Community Building on M-26 in Eagle Harbor.
- Auditor Selection - MM/S Olson/Johnson to retain John Jukuri as our Auditor for 2001-2002 Vote 5-0
- Financial Institution Selection –MM/S Johnson/Olson to retain Superior National Bank as our primary financial institution and use Wells Fargo, National City, Republic Bank and First National for investment purposes. Vote 5-0
Jeane Olson contacted Hannula Insurance to determine what our liability would be if someone broke into the pump house and damaged or polluted the water system. As long as we take reasonable precautions to keep the pump house secure we would not be liable for any act of vandalism. This means keeping the pump house locked and not allowing unauthorized persons access to the pump house.
- Road Abandonment – Third Street – Frank Carlton petitioned the Board to adopt a resolution to abandon "that portion of Third Street, North of Pine Street to Eliza Creek between Block 32 and 31 and that portion of Third Street South of Pine Street to the Southerly Edge of the Plat and between Block 44 and Block 43, according to the Plat of Eagle Harbor Village. MM/S Ellis/Olson to adopt this resolution. Roll Call Vote: Olson-Aye, Lantz-Aye, Boggio-Aye, Johnson-Aye, Lantz-Aye
- Land Division Administrator – Assessor Matt Arko will handle our land splits and the fee to the landowner will be reduced from $100 to $50 with the fee going to a special Recreation Fund. MM/S Olson/ Ellis Vote 5-0
- Westlake – Construction of Wall – A letter was received from Tom Westlake requesting permission from the Board to build a retaining wall between Willoughby’s and Boggio’s property on M-26. The new wall would match the wall already in existence on the properties mentioned. MM/S Lantz/Ellis to approve this project. Vote 5-0 A letter will be written to Tom Westlake informing him of the board’s decision.
- U.S. Census - The Census Bureau has sent us a list of Materials available to the Township and how to obtain them. The Land Division Committee has requested a copy.
- Land Purchase for Water Storage Tank. The Township has the opportunity
to purchase a piece of property at the location chosen by Dick Supina for
a Water Storage Tank for the Water System. The cost will be $9000 and
there are funds budgeted in the Water Fund for land acquisition. MM/S
Johnson/Ellis to purchase this property for a water storage tank site.
ADJOURNMENT: 7:43 p.m. MM/S Olson/Lantz – Vote 5-0
Jeane Olson, Clerk James Boggio, Supervisor