EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
APRIL 9, 2001
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 7:00 P.M. by Supervisor Jim Boggio
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Boggio, Jeane Olson, Ann Johnson, Dick Lantz and Tom Ellis
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PEVIOUS MEETING:
MM/S Johnson/Lantz to approve March12, 2001 minutes. Vote 5-0
The Treasurer’s report was accepted.
APPROVAL OF BILLS: MM/S Johnson/Ellis– Vote 5-0
SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE:
- Memo from Don Keith concerning vacancies on County boards and Commissions. A letter will be written to the County Board of Commissioners stating Eagle Harbor Township would like representation on the ZBA and Zoning & Planning Commission and other committees and commissions.
- Keweenaw Academy is in the process of reorganizing and will be forming a new advisory board. Joyce Christensen has resigned from the advisory committee and that position for Eagle Harbor Township will be open.
- Letter from Mark Rowe, Keweenaw County Historical Society confirming dates the Sierra Club will need the Community Building for sleeping quarters. They are arriving Sept. 29 and will be leaving on Oct. 6.
- The Historical Society will be using the Township Hall in the winter months for their meetings on the second Thursday of the month.
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT –Mike Radigan-Absent-No report
911 COMMITTEE - Doug Schubert – Absent – No Report
WATER COMMITTEE – John Wakeman – Absent – No Report
WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR – Rick Finke – Absent. Clerk Jeane Olson read Rick’s report. Water usage has decreased and the water tests indicate the water is safe to drink. A copy of the report is attached.
WELLHEAD PROTECTION – Rick Finke Absent – No Report
CEMETERY COMMITTEE – Ginny Schubert – Absent
SEXTON COMMENTS – No sexton – Job opening has been posted.
SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE – Bruce Olson – No Report
BEACH COMMITTEE – Fred Geis – Absent – No Report
RECREATION COMMITTEE – Barb Sickler – Absent – No Report
George Hite – Absent – No Report
LAND USE COMMITTEE – Doug Sherk – The May 1 meeting will be a public informational meeting held at the Shoreline Resort. There will be another public meeting in the summer in conjunction with the regular Township Board meeting. Details are being worked out.
- Federal Surplus Program – Tom Ellis reported that he has received his card for access to the Surplus Warehouse. He has visited the warehouse and did not find anything the township was interested in at this time.
First Responder Program – Sheriff Ron Lahti feels there is a need for more first responders in this area – especially eagle Harbor Township. The course is open to anyone who is interested. The Fire Department will poll their membership to see if any of the firemen are interested in becoming first responders.
- Cemetery Sexton - The Township Board received an application for cemetery sexton from Mike Braman. MM/S Lantz/Ellis to hire Mike Braman as cemetery sexton. Ayes – 5, Nays - 0 Motion carried
- Pig Roast – Bill Smith submitted a letter requesting the use of the Fire Hall for cooking and serving food for the annual pig roast on August 4, 2001. Ed Stoneman reported that the fire department had discussed this at their meeting and had no objections. The Fire trucks would be moved to another location early that day and would be kept at that location for 24 hours. MM/S Ellis/Lantz to allow Bill Smith to use the fire hall for the pig roast Ayes – 5 Nays – 0 Motion carried.
A letter will be sent to Bill Smith informing him of the board’s approval.
- Selection of Attorney –MM/S Johnson/Ellis to continue to use David Mechlin as our township attorney. Ayes – 5 Nays – 0 Motion Carried
– The prisoners will start working for the township on April 16. Their first project will be to refinish the hardwood floors at the community building/schoolhouse.
- Amend Cemetery Ordinance – Resolution to amend the cemetery ordinance to include a $50 interment fee, effective July 1, 2001 was offered by Jeane Olson, and supported by Ann Johnson. Roll Call Vote: Ayes – Lantz, Olson, Johnson, Ellis, Boggio Nays – None. The Resolution was adopted.
- Grant Applications – A resolution to allow the township to apply for grants for the acquisition of lands was offered by Richard Lantz and supported by Tom Ellis. Roll call vote: Ayes – Lantz, Olson, Boggio, Johnson, Ellis Nays – None. The resolution was adopted.
- MTA Spring District Meeting – All board members and Deputies are encouraged to attend the MTA Spring District Meeting to be held on Tuesday, May 8 at Franklin Square Inn in Houghton. Treasurer Ann Johnson will send in the registration as soon as we know how many will attend.
MM/S Olson Johnson to adjourn. Ayes – 5 Nays – 0 Meeting Adjourned at
James Boggio, Supervisor Jeane Olson, Clerk