REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
May 13, 2002
CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Supervisor Douglas Sherk, at the Eagle Harbor Township Hall in Eagle Harbor, called the regular meeting of the Eagle Harbor Township Board to order at 7:00 p.m. on May 13, 2002. Supervisor Sherk led the Pledge of Allegiance.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Supervisor Sherk, Clerk Olson, Treasurer Johnson, Trustees Ellis and Lantz
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
AGENDA APPROVAL AND ADDITIONS
Additions to the agenda: to the Supervisor’s Remarks and Correspondence: DEQ Permit-Rick Wright-Township Zoning.
Added to Old Business: Eliza Lake Grant.
Added to New Business: Railroad switch donation; Request for support for Keweenaw Co. Mouth of the Gratiot land purchase; Request for opinion re: Keweenaw Co. purchase of Louisiana Pacific Sawmill land purchase; Request for recognition for volunteer emergency service personnel. MM/S Ellis/Olson to accept the agenda as amended. 5 Ayes, 0 Nays - Agenda was approved.
CONSENT AGENDA APPROVAL
- Approve minutes from April 8, 2002 regular meeting
- Approve Minutes of April 10, 2002 Special Meeting
- Accept Treasurer’s Report
- Approve Payment of Bills with addition of $5.30 to MTA; amount to AT&T changed to $38.61.
MM/S Johnson/Ellis to approve Consent Agenda with additions.
4 Ayes, 1 Nay - Motion Carried
SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE:
- Defibrillator information- Township residents are invited to read information on defibrillator. Information provided by Nancy Wakeman.
- Nature Conservancy update and low interest funding- Nature Conservancy owns land near Mt. Baldy, and is seeking a buyer to purchase entire property. Conservation lien would be placed on property. Buyer would be allowed to build one residence in a specific location; would be required to create right of way on their property to Mt. Baldy; and provide a parking lot for public use. Motor vehicle access to be restricted. Restrictions regarding timbering and subdivision to remain in effect forever. Public access trail on their property to the top of Mt. Baldy would be deeded. We continue to work with Nature Conservancy to protect future possible sewage disposal site. Nature conservancy is planning mailing to residents, requesting donations. Low interest funding- information received from Upper Peninsula Conservation Center regarding low interest funding.
- Donation to Volunteer Fire Department- Received $500.00 donation from Firefighters Charitable Foundation to be used for equipment.
- July 11, 2002 Natural Resource Meeting-will be held in Eagle Harbor. Eagle Harbor may be asked for support in future meeting. Request access and use of Eagle Harbor Community Schoolhouse for meeting. Possibly 24 persons to attend. MM/S Johnson/Ellis to express support, welcome to community and provide schoolhouse for use at no charge. 5 Ayes, 0 Nays- Motion carried.
- Safety Inspection-Volunteer Fire Department- Township received notice that any vehicles must be inspected and serviced on regular basis by certified repairman. Chief Radigan stated to Supervisor Sherk that we are in compliance.
- MSU Extension-Caterpillars-Newsletter from MSU states belief that we are over the bad years of Tent Caterpillar infestation.
- Western Upper Peninsula District Health Department- received letter of thanks for letter sent outlining objectives of Township Land Use Planning Advisory Committee.
- Swan observation- Keweenaw Bay Natural Resources Dept reports Trumpeter swan reported being seen near Eagle Harbor. Swan has a green collar #60E. Swan is large, white and has a black bill. Report any sightings to Doug Sherk.
- DEQ Chemical Permit Notification- New legislation provides for township to receive notification when a chemical permit application is received by DEQ, to receive a copy of that application, and to be notified when a permit is issued within township.
- Request For Liquor License Transfer-application received by Liquor Control Commission for transfer of Liquor License from Crampton-Holman, Inc. to Richard and Colleen Grove, who are in process of purchasing the Eagle Harbor General Store.
- Coastal Grant Site Visit-Two grants currently in progress; Eliza Lake and Sand Dunes Marsh Area. DEQ personnel, site overseer, Jim Rooks and Jim Boggio visited grant sites. Overseer was positive about Sand Dunes Marsh Area project, but less encouraging about Eliza Lake project.
- DEQ Permit- Rick Wright requests permit for extension of pole building from 30’ X 50’ to 30’ X 70’. Property is zoned resort/residential and is located in a critical Dunes area.
- Township Zoning- Regarding handling zoning issues at the township level. Doug Schubert is looking into costs related to zoning, personnel requirements and other needs. Doug Sherk cautioned us that zoning is difficult to enforce and expensive to administer.
BEACH COMMITTEE – Fred and Colleen Geis – No Report
CEMETERY COMMITTEE – Ginny Schubert – Cemetery Cleanup is set for Saturday, May 18, 2002 from 12 Noon – 3:00 p.m. Fred Kellow will provide a large trailer. It was requested that workers bring pickup trucks and racks.
SEXTON COMMENTS –Mike Braman – Several funerals are scheduled as well as several memorials.
COMMUNITY BUILDING– Nancy Clarkson –No report
HAZARD MITIGATION COMMITTEE – Kris Callog – No report
HEBARD PLAT COMMITTEE – Jeane Olson – Report from Bob Crampton attached regarding lot lines, maps and notices sent.
LAND USE COMMITTEE – George Hite –New map is being drafted. It will be presented to Zoning and Planning in June 2002. Information due to WUPPDR by the 28th. Survey results and report have been accepted by the Township Board and will be presented to the Zoning and Planning Commission in June.
911 COMMITTEE - Doug Schubert – Ginny Schubert informed us that should be in effect by Fall 2002.
PARK COMMITTEE – George Hite – Currently working on the Master Plan. Basic maps prepared for 940 acres of Lake Eliza land. Mr. Rooks is doing critical habitat survey and will make recommendations.
RECREATION COMMITTEE – Barb Sickler – No Report
SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE – Bruce Olson – No report
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT – Mike Radigan – Tentative letter of support of millage being completed per Jeane Olson.
WATER COMMITTEE – John Wakeman – No report
WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR – Rick Finke – All samples are good.
WELLHEAD PROTECTION – Rick Finke – No Report
- Generator Hookup Costs- Doug Schubert- Tabled
- Assessors Independent Appraisal- Tabled
- NAWCA Grant- Partner agreement has been signed. We are waiting for funds. No additional funds are available past amount originally approved. 400 acres-DNR $85,000.00. Lake Superior Basin Trust- $75,000.00.
- Eliza Lake Grant-Original application $126,000.00. Lansing coordinator may find funds for use in purchasing lot in Eagle Harbor South, but will not provide funds for dredging lake or refurbishing dam. Purchase of property for access to Eliza Dam is currently delayed by State due to number of splits to property. Board approves change in grant request.
- Pig Roast- request for Fire Hall- Bill Smith requests Fire Hall August 3, 2002. 12 Noon – 12:30 a.m. August 4th. MM/S Johnson/Ellis to approve request for use of Fire Hall. Letter to be sent granting approval. 5 Ayes, 0 Ayes
- Historical Society Special Use Permit- Keweenaw County Historical Society requested permit for purpose of operating short-term rental tourist home. Public hearing scheduled for 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday May 28th, 2002.
- Request for opinion of Keweenaw County purchase of Louisiana Pacific Sawmill land- we will not offer an opinion until the purpose of the land purchase is known. Letter to be sent.
- Request for opinion of Keweenaw County purchase of additional land at Mouth of Gratiot-We support County purchase of land in Section 12, next to Mouth of Gratiot, and removing it from tax rolls on basis that it will be part of the Gratiot Park Plan and will remain available for public access and enjoyment. Letter to be sent.
- Request support for recognition of Keweenaw County Volunteers-List of Eagle Harbor Township (non-paid) volunteer emergency service personnel will be compiled and sent to County.
- Railroad switch Donation- If the Donor wishes to be identified a letter of thanks will be sent. MM/S Ellis/Lantz to accept donation and install with proper safety precautions in yard near other railroad artifacts. 5 Ayes, 0 Nays. Motion carried.
ZONING VARIANCE REQUESTS- None
Jim Boggio questioned Keweenaw County purchase of land with County funds.
Jim Boggio suggested that the cables be removed from the railroad cars and the cars be tack welded to the tracks.
- MM/S Lantz/Ellis to adjourn. Ayes - 5, Nays – 0 Meeting adjourned at 8:26p.m.
Eagle Harbor Township Clerk
- CERTIFICATION –
I, the undersigned, Jeane Olson, the duly qualified and elected clerk for the Township of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Township Board of said Township at a regular board meeting held on the 13th day of May, 2002.
Eagle Harbor Township Clerk