REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
July 14, 2003
CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Supervisor Douglas Sherk, at the Eagle Harbor Community Building in Eagle Harbor, called the regular meeting of the Eagle Harbor Township Board to order at 7:00 p.m. on July 14, 2003. Supervisor Sherk led the Pledge of Allegiance.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Trustee Lantz, Treasurer Johnson, Supervisor Sherk, Trustee Ellis, Clerk Olson
AGENDA APPROVAL AND ADDITIONS:
Additions to Correspondence: Metro Act Confirmation
Additions to New Business: ACH Policy
MM/S olson/Johnson to accept the agenda with additions and corrections. 5 Ayes, 0 Nays - Agenda was approved.
CONSENT AGENDA APPROVAL
- Approve minutes of June 9, 2003 Regular Meeting
- Accept Treasurers Report
MM/S Ellis/Johnson to approve Consent Agenda
5 Ayes, 0 Nays Consent Agenda approved.
SUPERVISORS REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE:
- Supervisor Sherk stated that copies of correspondence was in Board Packet and asked if there were any questions on any item
- Supervisor Sherk commented on Campfire Posting and restated that it is illegal and very dangerous to leave fires unattended. Fires are a real threat to the community. It was suggested that if you see a fire unattended to contact the Fire Department or the County Sheriff.
BEACH COMMITTEE Fred Geis No Report
CEMETERY COMMITTEE Ginny Schubert No Report
SEXTON COMMENTS Mike Braman - No Report
COMMUNITY BUILDING Jeane Olson No Report
FIRST RESPONDERS Bruce Olson No Report
HAZARD MITIGATION COMMITTEE Kris Callog No Report
HEBARD PLAT COMMITTEE Jeane Olson - No Report.
LAND USE COMMITTEE Inactive
911 COMMITTEE Ginny Schubert Addresses will probably go into effect by August 15.She will have a full report at the August Board Meeting and possibly a final list of addresses. House numbers may be put up by individuals when they are in effect. Request that all other numbers be removed (fire #s and HC-1 Box #s) when the new numbers are installed.
PARK COMMITTEE George Hite No Report
RECREATION COMMITTEE Barb Sickler No Report
SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE Doug Schubert - Junk Jettison Day is set. Volunteers are signed up. Doug Schubert went over the acceptable and non-acceptable items and other information..
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT Mike Radigan No Report
WATER COMMITTEE John Wakeman - No Report
WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR Reid Rastello/Joe Monroe No Report
WELLHEAD PROTECTION No Report
- Generator More information was received from Kesanen and the bid is now a few hundred dollars more than the previous bid. Motion made by Doug Sherk to accept the bid died for lack of support.
- Little Grand Marais Tabled
- Backup Water Employee Reid Rastello Has been hired as full time operator and will work toward licensing. Joe Monroe has been hired as part time water operator and will also be working toward licensing. Both operators will train under Don Keith.
- Water Operator Contracts MM/S Johnson/Olson to present a new contract to Don Keith of $600 per month to be backup Water Operator and for training new water operators. A contract for Rick Finke for July was presented. MM/S Ellis/Sherk to accept the contract. Motion carried unanimously. A tentative contract for Rick Finke for August was presented. MM/S Olson/Sherk to allow the supervisor to negotiate the terms of the August contract. Motion carried unanimously. Supervisor Sherk will contact Rick Finke for negotiating and signing the contracts.
- Community Building Employee A lady from Laurium has been hired to do janitorial and cleaning duties at the Community Building and Township Hall. She will clean thoroughly on Thursdays or Fridays, and before and after events at the community building and also when the board feels extra cleaning is needed.
- Compactor Key for Doug Schubert MM/S Lantz/Ellis to permanently issue a key to the compactor to Doug Schubert. Motion carried unanimously.
- Election workers for Special Election. Election Committee appointed Gerry Royce, Mary K. Masnado, Joyce Christenson, and Ruth Black as precinct workers. Gerry Royce was appointed Chairman and the committee agreed to furnish 1 meal for the workers on the day of the election.
- Resolution for Solid Waste Special Assessment Fees MM/S Johnson/Lantz to adopt the resolution to assess garbage collection fees for 2004. Motion passed unanimously with a roll call vote.
- Review of General Maintenance Salary MM/S Sherk/Ellis to combine the two maintenance categories of Maintenance and Skilled Labor and raise the hourly rate to $13 per hour. Motion carried unanimously by roll call vote.
- MM/S Johnson/Lantz to investigate the possibility of using the Michigan Works Program for special projects in Eagle Harbor Township. Motion carried unanimously
- Purchase of Lawn Mower. MM/S Johnson/Olson to purchase a second-hand lawn mower from Ed Stoneman for $100 for general Maintenance. Motion carried unanimously. The prison Work crew will mow the grass at the Gratiot Lake Fire Station every other week.
- ACH Policy Treasurer Ann Johnson presented an Automated Clearing House Policy for Acceptance by the Board. MM/S Olson/Ellis to accept the ACH Policy. Motion carried unanimously.
ZONING VARIANCE REQUESTS- None
PUBLIC COMMENT- None
MM/S Olson/Ellis to adjourn. Motion passed unanimously Meeting adjourned at 7:35 p.m.
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township
I, the undersigned, Jeane Olson, the duly qualified and elected Clerk for the Township of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Township Board of said Township at a regular board meeting held on the 14th day of July, 2003.
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township