EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
September 11, 2000
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 7:00 PM by Supervisor, Jim Boggio
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Boggio, Donald Keith, Jeane Olson, Gerald Johnson, John Clarkson
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
APPROVAL OF MINUTES OF PREVIOUS MEETING: MM/S Keith/Johnson to approve August 14, 2000 minutes. Vote 5-0.
TREASURERS REPORT: Report dated August, 2000 was accepted.
APPROVAL OF BILLS : MM/S Keith/Olson - Vote 5-0
SUPERVISORS REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE:
Volunteer Fire Department Mike Radigan Absent
Water & Well-Head Protection Committee John Wakeman Water Board meeting was held. Rick Finke stated that the water usage has gone down since summer residents have exited.
Cemetery Committee Ginny Shubert Absent
Solid Waste Committee Bruce Olson Thanked residents for their cooperation this past summer for not dumping unauthorized items.
Beach Committee Fred Geist - Absent
Recreation Committee Barb Sickler-Absent
911 Committee Doug Shubert Committee is proceeding with the road issue, naming unnamed roads.
- Special assessment district will be established for the Solid Waste. Will proceed when we hear from the attorney.
- Long term land use meeting Anita Campbell invited everyone to attend a meeting on September 23, 2000 at 2 PM. It will be held in Mohawk at the Mohawk School. Speakers will be Tim Bureau, Resource Management Group; and Rod Cartwright, and Chris Grobbel from MSU Extension Service. Discussion will cover a comprehensive land use plan.
- Cemetery Don Keith The sign will be fixed within the next month. It will cost $1,200.00, but a portion will be covered by our insurance.
- Land Grant Agreement MM/S Keith/Clarkson - The following Resolution was adopted. WHEREAS, Part 19, Natural Resources Trust Fund, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, establishes the Michigan Natural Resources Trust Fund which provides for acquisition and development of lands for public outdoor recreation purposes. AND WHEREAS, the Township of Eagle Harbor desires to acquire lands for public outdoor recreational purposes. AND WHEREAS, the aforementioned unit of government agrees to be solely responsible for the operation and maintenance of the property as set forth in said Agreement. THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED, that the Township of Eagle Harbor is authorized to enter into the Protect agreement with the Michigan Department of Natural Resources and agrees to perform the terms and conditions of said Agreement. Roll call vote 5-0.
- Assessors report Society of St. Johns They have filed a petition to the Full Tax Tribunal for relief from taxes for the new fire truck. The Attorney General for the State has ruled that it is permitted to assess non-profit organizations for fire protection.
- Mt. Bohemia Matt Arko Indicated that judges can put a special assessment on taxpayers if there is a judgement against the county. He indicated the assessment could be $16.90 per $1,000.00 of taxable value.
- Truth and Taxation Special hearing A special hearing was convened at 7:30 PM. The hearing was on a proposed increase of .2893 mills in the operating tax millage rate. MM/S Clarkson/Olson to adopt a proposed millage increase. The results will increase operating revenue from ad valorem property taxes 29.21% over such revenues generated by levies permitted without holding a hearing. Special hearing adjourned at 7:55 PM. MM/S Clarkson/Johnson.
- Eagle Harbor South Water hookups Motion was made that the township will, when International Paper signs the Water Agreement, give them permission to hookup to the Eagle Harbor Township Water System. MM/S Clarkson/Olson. Roll call vote 5-0.
ADJOURNMENT: 7:55 PM MM/S Olson/Clarkson Vote 5-0
John Clarkson, Clerk Jim Boggio, Supervisor