MEMBERS PRESENT: Trustee Lantz, Treasurer Johnson, Supervisor Sherk, Trustee Ellis, and Deputy Clerk Kisiel Present. Clerk Olson absent.
MM/S Lantz/Johnson to approve the agenda with the following changes and additions.
· Board meeting changing locations under Supervisors Remarks.
· Blacks DEQ Permit under Correspondence.
· Gratiot Lake Fire Hall under New Business.
· Trail Signs under New Business.
· 3rd Street Resurfacing under New Business.
· Final EHT/Siler Water project Contract agreement under New Business.
· Sheriff Contribution under New Business.
· Water System operators report was moved to the head of the agenda followed by KLT (Keweenaw Land Trust) Conservation Update (added Baseline Survey Handout), Kesanen/Dirtworks Comments, and Water Project update and Final Contract agreement.
The Agenda was approved 4 Ayes, 0 Nays.
· Approve minutes of August 9, 2004 regular meeting.
· Approve minutes of August 28, 2004 special meeting with the following change.
1. The adjournment time was changed from 3:55am to 3:55pm.
· Approve minutes of September 4, 2004 special meeting with the following change.
1. The document date was changed from September, 2004 to September 4, 2004.
· Accept Treasurers Report
· Approve Payment of Bills with the following addition.
1. Eagle Harbor Inn bill of $20.30 under Water Fund account 52500.
MM/S Johnson/Ellis to approve Consent Agenda 4 Ayes, 0 Nays Consent Agenda approved.
· Reid Rastello Water report Water Operator Rastello reported 2 leaks had been repaired in the system and everything else was OK.
· Conservation Easement Update KLT Executive Director Evan McDonald and KLT member Pat Toczydlowski were present. Supervisor Sherk summarized the Baseline Documentation Report for the George Hite Dunes and Marshes Preserve Conservation Easement. He highlighted additional wording to be added under Section III Introduction as indicated by the accompanying handout, in order to also acknowledge the match contribution of private donor George Hite to EHT. Pat Toczydlowski stated that the photo points in the document are used to judge compliance and will be held in their archive. Annual inspections will be done to make sure the conservation easement is being honored. Supervisor Sherk attested to the accuracy of the Baseline Survey document based on his own experience with the property. Supervisor Sherk also requested of KLT that the Baseline Survey document face-sheet, executive summary I, Introduction III, and Acknowledgement of Condition II, are all registered and recorded with the Deed. MM/S Sherk/Lantz to give permission to Supervisor Sherk to edit, certify and sign the Acknowledgement of Condition for the Baseline Survey passed on a Roll Call Vote 4-0. The KLT bill for services as presented by Mr. McDonald was discussed. The Board has approved a total payment of $7700 to KLT as per agreement. Of that, $4000 in services (biologist and botanist) has been completed for the Baseline Survey. $100 for filing/documents and $3600 for monitoring/land stewardship in perpetuity (including KLT periodic filing renewal every 20 to 40 years as needed) await final Baseline Survey document approval by the Grantor, MCMP (Michigan Coastal Management Program). The Grantor, MCMP, has already approved the Conservation Easement document itself, as has EHT and KLT. Pat Toczydlowski described how documents would be signed and archived, with a copy for EHT, KLT and MCMP; and a Baseline Survey document with each page signed kept in a secure place in case any future questions are raised about content.
· Fritz Kesanen Comments Mr. Kesanen, reading from his prepared statement, questioned the Boards decision to award the pending water maintenance contract to Bill Siler Contracting. He stated that his company, together with Dirtworks, are better qualified and are the lowest bidder.
· Dirtworks Comments Mr. and Mrs. Mattson, owner-operators of Dirtworks Contracting, both made comments regarding their qualifications and experience. Both felt they should be awarded the contract because they are more qualified than Bill Siler Contracting. Mr. Mattson also stated that his Bonding was the Townships guarantee of performance.
· Water Contract Award Supervisor Sherk, after referencing under Water Update the August 30, 2004 Notice of Award, which had been approved unanimously by the Board, made a motion seconded by Treasurer Johnson to approve Supervisor Sherk to execute the final agreement between Eagle Harbor Township and Siler Contracting for the 5th and 3rd Streets water main project. The motion passed on a Roll Call Vote 4-0.
· Siegmeier E-mail Supervisor Summarized.
· Marina Supervisor Summarized.
· NAWCA Land Update Supervisor Summarized.
· Invitation to KLT Supervisor Summarized.
· Hazard Project List Supervisor Summarized.
· Audit Supervisor Summarized.
· MTA Township Data Supervisor Summarized.
· George Hite Dunes Marshes Preserve Supervisor Summarized.
· Silver Loop Budget Supervisor Summarized.
· Eliza Update Supervisor Summarized.
· Water Update Moved to head of Agenda.
· Supervisor Summarized.
· Final Beach Report Supervisor Summarized.
· Keweenaw County August 2004 Minutes - Posted at the Township Hall.
· Blacks DEQ Permit Supervisor Summarized, posted at the Township Hall.
· Kesanen Sign Update The board notified Mr. Kesanen that he would have to apply to the County, Jane Pelto, for a Sign Permit.
· Eagle Harbor Trail Permits Supervisor Summarized.
· Board Meeting Location Supervisor Sherk reminded everyone that the Board meeting location will be at the Township Hall beginning in October.
· Cemetery Committee Ginny Schubert No Report.
Sexton Comments Mike Braman OK.
· Community Building Jeane Olson No Report.
· First Responders Bruce Olson No Report.
· Hazard Mitigation Committee Kris Callog Hazard list was supplied for WUPPDR.
· Hebard Plat Committee Jeane Olson No Report.
· 911 Committee Doug Schubert No Report.
· Park Committee George Hite No Report.
· Recreation Committee Barb Sickler No Report.
· Solid Waste Committee No Report.
· Volunteer Fire Department No Report.
· Water Committee John Wakeman No Report.
Water Systems Operator Reid Rastello Report Moved to front of Agenda.
· Wellhead Protection Committee Reid Rastello No Report.
· Zoning Advisory Committee George Hite No Report.
· Fire Truck Financing Tabled awaiting financing research, no update.
· Private Road Ordinance Tabled awaiting further information, no update.
· Insurance Risk Control Tabled awaiting further information, no update.
· Water Electrical Ground Ordinance Tabled, no update.
· Assessor Contract Tabled, no update.
· UPS Backup for Pump House Addressed at August 28, 2004 special meeting. Remove from Agenda.
· Drainfield Placement Ordinance MM/S Sherk/Ellis to adopt Drainfield Placement Ordinance as presented in handout and read by Sherk passed 4-0 on a Roll Call Vote.
· VFD Bylaws MM/S Sherk/Lantz to accept and adopt VFD Bylaws revision 1.5 passed 4-0 on a Roll Call Vote.
· Resolution of Non-profit Status of Fire Department Tabled awaiting VFD Bylaw acceptance.
· Conservation Easement Update (added Baseline Survey Handout) Moved to Head of Agenda.
· School Busing Issue may be resolved, tabled.
· Gratiot Lake Fire Hall MM/S Lantz/Johnson to authorize the expenditure of up to a maximum of $5000, to be split half and half with the Fire Department, for miscellaneous repairs including a new metal roof and soffit system and labor. Motion passed unanimously 4-0 on a Roll Call Vote.
· Trail Signs MM/S by Supervisor Sherk/Lantz to purchase appropriate signs, for public EHT trail access over private property when the owner requests such signs, not to exceed $100 passed 4-0 on a Roll Call Vote.
· 3rd Street Resurfacing MM/S Sherk/Ellis to pay Township share with Keweenaw County Road Commission, ½ of cost, not to exceed $2000 for EHT, passed on a Roll Call Vote 4-0.
· Final EHT/Siler Water project Contract agreement- Moved to Head of Agenda.
· Sheriff Contribution Fund MM/S by Treasurer Johnson/Lantz to contribute $900 from the Liquor Fund for liquor enforcement to the County Sheriff passed on a Roll Call Vote 4-0.
Policy/Rule for public comment: 3 minutes per person up to 20 minutes total during meeting and 3 minutes per person up to 20 minutes total under public comment section of agenda.
This policy will be stated on all agendas
Several Citizens were recognized for the following public comments:
· Kesanen Comments Moved to Head of Agenda.
· Dirtworks Comments Moved to Head of Agenda.
· MM/S Ellis/Johnson to adjourn. Motion carried unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 8:27 PM
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township
I, the undersigned, Jeane Olson, the duly qualified and elected Clerk for the Township of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Township Board of said Township at a regular board meeting held on the 13th day of September, 2004.
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township