EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
SEPTEMBER 14, 1998
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 7:00 PM by Supervisor, Jim Boggio
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Boggio, John Clarkson, Gerald Johnson, Donald Keith, Nancy Sherk
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
MINUTES: MM/S Keith/Johnson to approve the August minutes - Vote 5-0
SPECIAL HEARING MINUTES: MM/S Clarkson/Johnson to approve the August 26, 1998 ‘Special
TREASURER’S REPORT: Report Accepted.
APPROVAL OF BILLS: MM/S Keith/Sherk to approve - Vote 5-0
SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE:
- Robert Taylor, EH Twp Assessor, has notified the board of the intent to resign ( a letter is
forthcoming). Boggio asked Bob to submit a job description of the assessor’s position, so a posting
of the opening could be published.
- There is a large butcher-block type of buffet table w/heat lamps located in the schoolhouse that there is
no longer a need for. The board is looking for someone who may have a need for this item.
Volunteer Fire Department - Mike Radigan
- Spaghetti Dinner: The VFD will be having an ‘Appreciation Dinner’ on September 26, 1998.
All are invited to attend.
Water & Well-head Protection Committee - John Wakeman (Abs)
- Don Keith has notified the board of intent to resign as Water Dept. Manager effective
September 30, 1999. A letter will be forthcoming at that time, but would like to post the job opening in advance, to prepare someone else for the position.
Cemetery Committee - Ginny Shubert (Abs)
Solid Waste Committee - Bruce Olson - Nothing to report
Beach Committee - Vern Robinson (Abs)
Recreation Committee - Barb Sickler
- An income and expense report was presented of the Fourth of July proceeds. The committee has purchased a ‘stop watch’, weights for the Aerobics group, a rubberized Tot Swing, and a Triple Hoop game for the park. Swing replacements have arrived and will be put up next year. It’s recommended, for liability purposes, that sand be placed in and around the playground equipment and some of the humps and bumps in the ground surrounding the equipment be removed.
- Fire truck: A special Public Hearing was held August 26, 1998, where the supervisor stated that the order of business was to discuss the setting up of the Special Assessment District. The minutes of that meeting are on file. A resolution was read (see attached Resolution A) and, upon motion, submitted by Boggio and supported by Clarkson, vote was unanimous for adoption. Upon roll call vote the following voted ‘Aye’: Jim Boggio, John Clarkson, Gerald Johnson, Donald Keith, Nancy Sherk. The following voted ‘Nay’: None. Motion carried and Resolution duly adopted. A resolution was also read (see attached Resolution B) for the Grant final application, and, upon motion, submitted by Boggio and supported by Clarkson, vote was unanimous for adoption. Upon roll call vote the following voted ‘Aye’: Jim Boggio, John Clarkson, Gerald Johnson, Donald Keith, Nancy Sherk. The following voted ‘Nay’: None. Motion carried and Resolution duly adopted. A meeting has been set for September 18, 1998 at 8:30 am with members of the VFD, George Hite, and Boggio to discuss further issues at hand. Through many meetings and phone discussions with the township attorney, it is his recommendation to conduct a special election, on this matter, through the vote of the registered voters. The board wished to notify everyone of this development. No action has been taken.
- Construction of township restrooms: The board has received the approval of the Health Dept. to proceed. Plans are to put in the septic field and complete the cement work before winter.
- Grand Marais (Goodell Road) Special Assessment: Our attorney is reviewing the easements of record and there seems to be a discrepancy, of which, Lake Superior Land Company is being consulted, since they originally set up the easement with the Goodell property.
- Inventory of Township Tangible Property for Audit & Insurance Purposes: Keith has submitted an inventory list of the Water Dept., the VFD is currently having their list prepared, and Ann Johnson is working on the list of Township Offices property (the Recreation Committee has also submitted a list)
- Investment Resolution & Policy (required by the State of Michigan): Motion by Boggio, supported by Clarkson to adopt the annual Investment Resolution & Policy (attached) required by the State. Roll call vote ‘Aye’ as follows: Nancy Sherk, Don Keith, Jim Boggio, John Clarkson, Gerald Johnson. ‘Nays’: None. Motion carried and resolution adopted.
- Discussion of Fire Budget: The board discussed the procedure to be followed when an expenditure goes over $2,000.00. The bid process must be used.
- Hebard Park Plat: Gary Tallon, an E.H. resident, presented the board with a letter (attached) asking for their assistance in composing a letter, to be sent to all property owners involved, explaining the problem that exists and what could possibly be done to resolve it. Boggio agreed to help Gary compose a letter.
- Eliza Creek Dam: The board expressed concern about the low level of Eliza Lake and would like to notify the DNR about the problem. Boggio will contact them.
- Grant Compliances: To acquire the firetruck grant, the township must comply with several requests. We are required to conform to the ‘Handicap Accessiblity’ Act regarding restrooms in all Township buildings. The township will be installing bathrooms in the new addition, but the Schoolhouse needs to be updated. The board approved to transfer $10,000.00 out of the General Fund to the Improvement Fund to cover the costs of rennovating the existing bathrooms. Since the addition won’t be completed until next year, it was suggested to utilize some of the General Fund money for this purpose. Motion by Keith, supported by Johnson, vote unanimous. A layout of the existing building floor plans were sent to the board by John Dawson, Committee Chairperson (see attached).
- Resident, Ed Filsenger, letters: A request has been received from Mr. Filsenger, to be hooked up to the township’s village water system. A letter was also received from him requesting the return of the bookshelves and books that are located in the Schoolhouse that he claims ownership of. Both requests will be reviewed by Nancy Sherk, answer will be forthcoming.
- Appointment of Election Inspectors: The board has appointed Anna Royce, Pat Keith, Joyce Christenson, and Mary Kay Masnado (as alternate) to serve on the election board.
ADJOURNMENT: 8:27 PM MM/S Sherk/Johnson - Vote 5-0
John M. Clarkson, Clerk Jim Boggio, Supervisor