EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
OCTOBER 12, 1998
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 7:00 PM by Supervisor, Jim Boggio
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Boggio, John Clarkson, Gerald Johnson, Donald Keith, Nancy Sherk
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
MINUTES: MM/S Sherk/Johnson to approve the September minutes - Vote 5-0
TREASURERíS REPORT: Report Accepted after a motion was made to approve changes in the
budget - motion by Keith, supported by Sherk, vote unanimous
APPROVAL OF BILLS: MM/S Sherk/Johnson to approve - Vote 5-0
SUPERVISORíS REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE: The board commends, Clarence Bach, the Solid Waste Manager, for the great job he has been doing for the Township.
Volunteer Fire Department - Mike Radigan
- A placque was received in appreciation of the VFD from the Marshall Family.
Water & Well-head Protection Committee - John Wakeman
- Water ordinances for the Village of Eagle Harbor residences were voted upon. A motion
to approve ordinances W001, W002, and W003 was made by Keith, supported by Clarkson, with
all approved except, Sherk, who obstained. Enforcement permits are required and a userís
agreement has been drafted. Copies of the ordinances are on file and are to be published.
Cemetery Committee - Ginny Shubert (Abs)
Solid Waste Committee - Bruce Olson - Nothing to report
Beach Committee - Vern Robinson (Abs)
Recreation Committee - Barb Sickler - Nothing to report
- Fire truck: George Hite commented on a conversation he had with attorney, Mechlin, regarding the proposed purchase of fire truck. An involvement with three parties should occur; the builder (supplier of the vehicle), Rural Development (the lender/grantor), and Eagle Harbor Township. The lengthy grant application will be sent in this week. In connection with the grant, the schoolhouse is required to be handicapped accessible. John Dawson has submitted drawings and suggestions on the placement on new restrooms (attached).
- Shared Fire Protection with Keweenaw Youth Academy: A few meetings have been held at the Academy. No reports are available on action taken.
- Construction of township addition: Slab is ready to be poured, rerouting of furnace lines and propane line to be moved this week.
- Assessor position posting: Bob Taylor, current assessor, submitted to the board a job description to be used as an aid for hiring someone for this position. An ad will be placed in the Daily Mining Gazette this week.
- Butcher-block Buffet table: An ad should be placed in the Daily Mining Gazette in the near future.
- Water Department Manager Position: Don Keith was asked to submit a job description, so that an ad could be placed in the paper for this position.
- Mr. Filsingerís requests for personal property: Trustee, Sherk, researched the history of past township meetings to locate any information referring to the donation of/or ownerhip of the bookshelves and books. Direct ownership was not identified. Motion was made to retain the items in the schoolhouse until proof of ownership can be made. M/M/S Sherk, Johnson, vote unanimous.
- Hebard Park Plat: A draft of the letter to be sent to the property owners involved, has been written.
- Eliza Creek Dam: Boggio has spoke with the DNR about raising the lake level next year.
- Appointment of Officer Manager: Boggio suggested the board appoint, Ann Johnson, as the office manager, to aid and assist in the townshipís clerical work. A motion to appoint her at a rate of $7.00 per hour, for approx. 24 hours a week, by Clarkson, supported by Keith, vote unanimous.
- Application for Liquor License: A letter/application dated 9-22-98 was submitted by Ann Gilmour (LakeShore Restaurant/Motel). A motion was made by Clarkson, supported by Keith, vote unanimous to approve the application. A resolution has been sent to the Michigan Dept. of Commerce Liquor Control Commision regarding this matter.
- Appointment of Election Inspectors: Mary Kay Masnado will replace Patricia Keith for the Nov. 3rd election, with Patricia Keith as the alternate.
ADJOURNMENT: 8:00 PM MM/S Johnson/Clarkson - Vote 5-0
John M. Clarkson, Clerk Jim Boggio, Supervisor