REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
October 13, 2003
CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Supervisor Douglas Sherk, at the Eagle Harbor Township Hall in Eagle Harbor, called the regular meeting of the Eagle Harbor Township Board to order at 7:00 p.m. on October 13, 2003. Supervisor Sherk led the Pledge of Allegiance.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Trustee Lantz, Treasurer Johnson, Supervisor Sherk, Trustee Ellis, and Clerk Olson
AGENDA APPROVAL AND ADDITIONS:
- Additions to Correspondence: Conservation District Annual Meeting, Lake Bailey Sanctuary, & Water Department Meetings
- Add to new business: Under Solid Waste Facility Policy Draft Resolution for Rules/Regulations, Operator authority for Facility Use policy, Five statements of Facility policy/signage and Water System Income Survey/Cost.
The Agenda was approved with additions.
Policy/Rules for public comment: 3 minutes - up to 20 minutes total during meeting and 3 minutes - up to 20 minutes total under public comment section of agenda.
This policy will be stated on all future agendas.
CONSENT AGENDA APPROVAL
- Approve minutes of September 8, 2003 regular meeting
- Accept Treasurers Report
- Approve Payment of Bills
MM/S Johnson/Olson to approve Consent Agenda
5 Ayes, 0 Nays Consent Agenda approved.
SUPERVISORS REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE:
- Water Funding Update
- Water Funding Update-Correspondence from Bart Stupak urging us to contact USDA Rural Development.
- Correspondence confirming phone conversation with Sherie Davie, from Senator Stabenows Office.
- Water System Policy Ordinance/Policy Explanations Explanation of certain sections of water ordinance pertaining to illegal water hookup violations and notification thereof and removal of water meters and shut offs and turn ons.
- Thank you note from Artist Association for Art Fair.
- Request for draft for Private road ordinance from Attorney Mechlin-no response yet.
- Emergency certified water operator coverage- licensed water operator Richard Harrer will be available to cover Eagle Harbor water system in the event Don Keith and Rick Finke are both absent at the same time.
- Zoning Ordinance Correspondence-The Township Board has notified the County of our choice for new zoning update. The County Board of Commissioners has voted to accept the Wycoff proposal.
- Fire Truck Needs Update The VFD should have a second tanker/pumper like the present tanker/pumper.
- Congratulations From Senator Levin on Receiving Fire Truck Grant.
- Generator Siren Update Generator has been installed. Bruce Olson & Joe Monroe have been trained to service the Generator. The siren is not connected to the generator because the siren would have to be completely rewired to meet code.
- Land Updates LLR2 in process, and LLR3 is in the planning stage. Both projects are over 170 acres each and will complete the Migratory Water Fowl/Birds Habitat Preservation project and protect present trail areas and the wellhead protection area. Dunes Marshes Needs Conservation easement commitment and surface rights to continue with the grant process.
- Master Plan Update Fourth quarter report has been submitted. There are no costs to report.
- County Recreation Inventory Plan List Eagle Harbor Township Recreation Facility list has been updated and corrected.
- Correspondence regarding brush policy at solid waste site Letter signed by Phil Gerhardt, Phil Medlyn, Fred Kellow, and Martha Royston protesting the fee for commercial depositing of tree waste at the solid waste site was read.
- Mobile Home Taxation Legislation is being considered to tax mobile homes in the same manner as real property. Supervisor Sherk intends to support this legislation.
- Design Study for Emergency Phone Service The County has designated funds for a design study for a better type of phone service for fire fighters in Keweenaw County. This Township supports that action.
- Conservation District Annual Meeting will be held at the Mariner North in Copper Harbor in October.
- Lake Bailey Wildlife Sanctuary has added 80 acres and now touches corners with Mount Baldy Preserve.
- Water Department Meetings
- Annual U.P. Distribution Training Meeting In Escanaba on Oct 28 & 29, cost $45 plus travel expenses & lodging
- AWWA Teleconference on Water Storage issues at different locations on Thursday Nov 6, cost $60
- BEACH COMMITTEE Fred Geis No Report
COMMUNITY BUILDING Jeane Olson The community building has been closed down for the winter. Water off, pipes drained, heat and air-conditioning off and main electrical breakers off.
- CEMETERY COMMITTEE Ginny Schubert The fence is installed, the white stain has been purchased and the fence will be stained white as soon as weather permits.
- SEXTON COMMENTS Mike Braman - No Report
- FIRST RESPONDERS Bruce Olson 2 day training is being offered at Michigan Tech on Oct 25 and Oct 26, which will provide the needed 15 hours required for the first responders to maintain their license. The cost is $20 per person for the entire session. There are funds in the budget for this.
- HAZARD MITIGATION COMMITTEE Kris Callog No Report
- HEBARD PLAT COMMITTEE Jeane Olson No Report
911 COMMITTEE Ginny Schubert 911 is in effect. There are some addresses that need to be corrected. Funding from cell phone charge may be discontinued. County Sheriff is working on that.
- LAND USE COMMITTEE Inactive
RECREATION COMMITTEE Barb Sickler Special Thanks to Wayne Sickler, Mike Hohner, John Dawson, Dick Lantz, Danny Pruner, and Jeff Williams for all of their work installing the new slide.
- PARK COMMITTEE George Hite No Report
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT Mike Radigan The VFD has requested the Board push for providing alternative funding such as a special assessment district to obtain funds for matching the grant funds we have received. Funding sought should be limited to funds needed to pay off a new fire truck only. Spring price on the truck will be $238,000 to $240,000.
WATER COMMITTEE John Wakeman - Report on Meeting in Gladstone with Rural Developments Duane Reid There is a 7-8 year wait for grant funds. Because our median income in Eagle Harbor Township is $38000 our chances of getting a grant is zero. RDA has money to lend but it would cost water users $200 per quarter for 40 years to borrow from them. Appropriation letters will be sent again to Senators and Representatives with the results of this meeting and asking again for their help.
WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR Reid Rastello Many repairs to stand pipes and valves have been completed.
WELLHEAD PROTECTION No Report
- SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE Doug Schubert - Recommends new signage and clarification of contractor, and small truck and large truck.
- Traffic Signs MM/S Lantz/Olson to contract with the County Engineer to do a traffic pattern Survey. Motion carried unanimously
- MEMAC Resolution MM/S Johnson/Olson to adopt the Resolution for Michigan Emergency Management Assistance Compact (MEMAC) Motion carried unanimously by roll call vote. MEMAC Resolution adopted.
- No Pets Policy MM/S Olson/Ellis to prohibit pets from entering the Township Hall and The Community Building. Motion carried unanimously. "No Pets" Signs will be posted at both buildings.
- Solid Waste Facility Policy
- MM/S Johnson/Ellis to adopt a "Resolution for a Policy" for adopting rules, regulations, fines and special charges for the solid waste site. Motion passed unanimously with a roll call vote.
- MM/S Johnson/Ellis to adopt the following statement as a policy: "The operator of the solid waste facility has the authorization of the Township Supervisor to decide (consistent with facility regulations and restrictions) what can be left in any area and to find out if a person is eligible to use the facility. If someone refuses to abide by the decision of the operator, the Township Supervisor or his/her designee will be notified, who may call the Sheriff if indicated."
- MM/S Ellis/Lantz to reject present wording on signs at solid waste site. Motion defeated. MM Sherk to accept the present wording of the signs at the solid waste site. Motion died for lack of support. Discussion on wording followed. MM/S Lantz/Johnson to table wording of signs for further study. Motion carried unanimously.
- MM/S Sherk/Lantz to accept the present sign wording as our regulations in effect until future changes are made. Motion carried unanimously.
- Match Fund Request for Conservation Easement/Dunes Marshes Grant MM/S Lantz/Johnson to apply for grant to cover the $8000 cost of a conservation easement required for the Dunes Marshes Grant, and apply for an extension of the Dunes Marshes Grant. Motion Carried unanimously. Match of 20% of total -$1600 -will be paid from the Land Acquisition Fund.
- Request for use of Community Building MM/S Johnson/Ellis to allow JoAnne Niven free use of the Community Building for 1 day a week for 8 weeks in July and August, 2004 for the purpose of holding art classes. If a paid reservation were received for a time she has reserved the classes would be moved to the Township Hall. Motion carried unanimously.
- LLR3 Grant Request MM/S Johnson/Ellis to adopt the resolution to apply for a NAWC Grant to purchase 173.3 acres in Section 12 of T58N-R31W known as LLR3. Motion carried unanimously by a roll call vote.
- LLR3 Grant Commitment MM/S Lantz/Ellis to adopt Resolution of Grant Agreement for LLR3. Motion carried unanimously by roll call vote.
- LLR3 Commitment Letter MM/S Lantz/Ellis to send a letter of commitment to become a NAWCA IV partner. Motion carried unanimously.
- Water System Income Survey/Cost MM/S Olson/Johnson to contact Water Systems Inc. to spend up to $800 to do an income survey of Eagle Harbor Water users. Motion carried unanimously.
- Match Fund Request for Surface Rights Acquisition/Dunes Marshes Grant MM/S Johnson/Sherk apply for grant to cover the $9000 cost of obtaining surface rights required for the Dunes Marshes Grant. Motion Carried unanimously. Match of 20% of total -$1800 -will be paid from the Land Acquisition Fund.
ZONING VARIANCE REQUESTS- None
PUBLIC COMMENT- None
MM/S Johnson/Sherk to adjourn. Motion carried unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 8:55 p.m.
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township
I, the undersigned, Jeane Olson, the duly qualified and elected Clerk for the Township of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Township Board of said Township at a regular board meeting held on the 13th day of October, 2003.
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township