REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
November 10, 2003
CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Supervisor Douglas Sherk, at the Eagle Harbor Township Hall in Eagle Harbor, called the regular meeting of the Eagle Harbor Township Board to order at 7:00 p.m. on November 10, 2003. There was a brief tribute to our veterans and recognition of veterens who were present at the meeting. Supervisor Sherk led the Pledge of Allegiance.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Trustee Lantz, Treasurer Johnson, Supervisor Sherk, Trustee Ellis, and Clerk Olson
AGENDA APPROVAL AND ADDITIONS:
- Additions to Remarks: Manitou Island & Deputy Emergency Management Director
- Add to new business: Under Dunes Marshes Amended Grant Agreement add Permission to sign Purchase Agreement.
The Agenda was approved with additions.
CONSENT AGENDA APPROVAL
- Approve minutes of October 13, 2003 regular meeting
- Accept Treasurers Report
- Approve Payment of Bills Addition under Fire Dept. of $279 from Wards Husqvarna
MM/S Johnson/Olson to approve Consent Agenda
5 Ayes, 0 Nays Consent Agenda approved.
CORRESPONDENCE AND SUPERVISORS REMARKS:
- Keweenaw County Road Commission - Confirms phone conversation with Greg Patrick.
- Confirmation of Community Building Use Confirms board decision to allow free use of Community Building for art classes.
- Request for Median Household Income Survey confirms phone conversation concerning household income survey for water grant purposes.
- Lake Superior Algae Results of water sample tests from Lake Superior taken by a resident.
- Legality of Conservation Easement letter from Township Attorney confirming that the Township has the legal authority to execute a conservation easement since it is a condition of the Grant which will be providing the funds to purchase the land.
- Water Update Additional information concerning the median household income survey.
- Land Updates
- Letter Confirming Phone Conversation with Walt Arnold
- Letter Confirming Phone Conversation with Dave Kenaga
- E-mail from Dave Kenaga - Handout
- DNR Grants for Trees For Non Profit Organizations
- Public Hearing County Recreation Plan - Tues Nov 25
- Water Pipe/Electric Ground Grounding to Water pipes is not code and is very dangerous for Water operators when dealing with meters and other water problems.
- Land Updates
- LLR3 Donor Needs Need $15,000 Funds for Match for LLR3 Grant
- Dunes Marshes Wording of Purchase agreement on Mineral rights is acceptable to Grantor.
- SBC Metro Act Permit Application Maps seem to be in error Clerk Olson is tryng to resolve this issue. Permit will be issued to Michigan Bell/SBC/Ameritech
- Manitou Island Keweenaw Land Conservancy supports the acquisition of th Lighthouse on Manitou Island
- Deputy Emergency Management Director Don Keith is the County Emergency Management Director and Mike Hohner is the Deputy Emergency Manangement Director for Eagle Harbor Township. The Job description has expanded from our previous understanding and there will be contact with Mike to determine if he wants to continue in that position.
- BEACH COMMITTEE Fred Geis No Report
COMMUNITY BUILDING Jeane Olson No Report
- CEMETERY COMMITTEE No Report
- SEXTON COMMENTS Mike Braman - No Report
- FIRST RESPONDERS Bruce Olson No Report
- HAZARD MITIGATION COMMITTEE Kris Callog WUPPDR is now working on the plan forEagle Harbor Township. They are in the process of compiling a comprehensive plan.
- HEBARD PLAT COMMITTEE Jeane Olson No Report
911 COMMITTEE Ginny Schubert The County is working on getting numbers up and local numbers should be available soon. Copies of the address list have been given to the Firemen and to the Township Office.
- LAND USE COMMITTEE Inactive
RECREATION COMMITTEE Barb Sickler No Report
- PARK COMMITTEE George Hite Doug Sherk reported that George is working on a recommendation to the Board for Trails & Signs.
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT Mike Radigan Letter read by Mike Radigan recommending an informational letter be sent out and the Board sanction another special election for millage to take advantage of the $50,000 grant received from Rural Development and the current low cost of a Truck. Doug Sherk will update the Board on its options.
WATER COMMITTEE John Wakeman - No Report
WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR Reid Rastello The final major leak has been located and authorization is needed to repair or cap the leak as soon as possible. MM/S Sherk/Johnson to repair the leak as soon as possible. Motion carried unanimously.
WELLHEAD PROTECTION No Report
- SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE Doug Schubert - No Report
- Traffic Signs Tabled
- Solid Waste Facility Regulations and Signs
- Solid Waste Free Option MM/S Johnson/Sherk to adopt the option of first $50 contractor load free. Motion carried unanimously.
- Solid Waste Rules/Regs MM/S Johnson/Olson to adopt the "Solid Waste Facility Rules, Regulations Fines and Special Charges". Motion carried unanimously.
- Solid Waste Sign Estimates MM/S Lantz /Ellis to obtain estimates for new signs for the Solid Waste Site. Motion carried unanimously.
- MEMAC Resolution Rescind We have been advised by Jack Dueweke , the emergency Management Coordinator, not to sign the MEMAC agreement until he has had time to research it. He is concerned that Townships may not receive financial aid from the statein a disaster or emergency situation if we have signed this agreement. MM/S Lantz/Ellis to rescind the resolution to sign the MEMAC Agreement that was passed at the October Board Meeting. Motion passed unanimously with a roll call vote.
- Historical Society Photocopy Agreement The Historical Society proposes to renew the photocopy agreement with the Township. The Society will provide its own paper, and pay $25 per month for up to 500 copies per month. Excess copies would be 5 cents per copy. A one-year payment would be made in advance. MM/S Ellis/Johnson to renew the agreement. Motion carried unanimously.
- Resolution for County Recreation Plan MM/S Lantz/Olson to adopt the Keweenaw County Recreation Plan as the Township Recreation Plan. Resolution passed with a roll call vote.
- Township Recreation Plan Changes MM/S Johnson/Sherk to amend the Township recreation resource listing and send it to the County for inclusion in the Keweenaw County Recreation Plan update. Ranked priorities among the listed items for Eagle Harbor Township:
- Great Sand Bay Lookout and Beach - cost $15,000
- Eliza Lake Park cost $130,000
- Eagle Harbor Public Trails cost $20,000
Motion carried Unanimously with a roll call vote
Cemetery Lot Stakes Model the cemetery committee will study the feasiblity of having the prisoners make fencing to be offered for sale to cemetery plot holders to designate their plots.
Water Repair Expense Limit MM/S Ellis/Johnson to allow the Supervisor to authorize water system repairs up to $2000 without prior Board approval. Motion carried unanimously.
LLR3 $2500 Match MM/S Johnson/Olson to commit up to $2500 from the Land Acquisition Fund for LLR3 Nawca Grant application as our match for appraisal and closing costs when due.
Motion carried unanimously with a roll call vote.
Dunes Marshes Amended Grant Agreement In the amended grant agreement the grant amount increases from $247,200 to $253,600 and the Township match will increase from $60,000 to $62,400 and the total grant amount increases from $300,00 to $317,000. The increase covers the Conservation Easement, closing costs and location survey. MM/S Johnson/Lantz to authorize the Supervisor to sign the amended Grant Agreement for the Dunes Marshes Project. Motion carried unanimously.
Dunes Marshes Purchase Agreement MM/S Johnson/Olson to authorize the Supervisor to sign the purchase agreement with Lake Superior Land for the Dunes Marshes Project. Motion passed unanimously with a roll call vote.
ZONING VARIANCE REQUESTS- None
PUBLIC COMMENT- A request was made for an explanation of the Safety issue re: Emergency Manangement. County has a command post in the basement of the Court House. Mike Hohner as Deputy Emergency Management Director is the Liaison between the County and the Township. Eagle Harbor Township needs to know the chain of command in the event of an emergency situation.
MM/S Olson/Ellis to adjourn. Motion carried unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 8:46 p.m.
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township
I, the undersigned, Jeane Olson, the duly qualified and elected Clerk for the Township of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Township Board of said Township at a regular board meeting held on the 10th day of November, 2003.
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township