REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
November 12, 2001
CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: The regular meeting of the Eagle Harbor Township Board was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on November 12, 2001 by Supervisor Douglas Sherk, at the Eagle Harbor Township Hall in Eagle Harbor. Supervisor Sherk led the Pledge of Allegiance.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Supervisor Sherk, Clerk Olson, Treasurer Johnson, Trustees Ellis and Lantz
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
AGENDA APPROVAL AND ADDITIONS –Supervisor Sherk added two items to the agenda:
Under old business-Hunting Lodge Update
Under new business-Additional Capital Expenditures
The agenda was approved with these additions.
CONSENT AGENDA APPROVAL
- Approve minutes from October 8, 2001 regular meeting
- Approve Minutes from October 10, 2001 Special Meeting
- Accept Treasurer’s Report
- Approve Payment of Bills
MM/S Ann Johnson/Tom Ellis to approve Consent Agenda
5 Ayes, 0 Nays - Motion Carried
SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE:.
- Letter in Response to Supervisor’s letter to DNR advising them of the sale of lands by Lake Superior Land and the affect on snowmobile trail system.
- DEQ Permits at Sand Bay – This land is zoned Resort Residential therefore the Township has no basis to make a statement regarding these permits.
- Land Purchase Negotiations – Land purchase for water Tower has been completed. Recorded deed has not yet been received.
We are negotiating with Lake Superior Land to purchase an additional
399.4 acres for additional wellhead protection and recreation and wildlife
preservation. We are also looking into acquiring 210 acres south of the
- Defining Home Occupation – The Township Board feels that the ordinance should be administered as it is written.
- Letter to Assessor - A letter was received asking for verification that the hired Assessor was actually preparing the tax roll. Our Assessor, Matt Arko, is definitely maintaining the tax roll but has not replied to the letter as yet.
BEACH COMMITTEE – Fred and Colleen Geis – No Report
CEMETERY COMMITTEE – Ginny Schubert – No Report
SEXTON COMMENTS –Mike Braman – No Burials. Flag has been put back on the pole but will be taken down for the winter this week. Also flags placed on graves at Memorial Day will be removed and stored for the winter.
COMMUNITY BUILDING – Nancy Clarkson – No report – Water has been turned off and system is winterized.
HAZARD MITIGATION COMMITTEE – Chris Callog – Dick Lantz reported that the committee would work on identifying the types of hazards this township might experience and how to handle such hazards. Also define our populated areas and prepare a list of assets to be available for use in a disaster or emergency situation.
HEBARD PLAT COMMITTEE – Jeane Olson – No Report
LAND USE COMMITTEE – Paul Freshwater – The Township Board has received a draft of the results of the survey. It should be finalized at Tuesday’s Land Use Planning Committee Meeting. Committee will then start to work on objectives.
911 COMMITTEE - Doug Schubert – No Report.
PARK COMMITTEE – George Hite – Meetings will start again. A list of permitted and prohibited uses is needed. George will work with Jim Rook to identify special wildlife habitat areas.
RECREATION COMMITTEE – Barb Sickler – No Report
SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE – Bruce Olson –Waiting for snow to be able to burn the brush pile.
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT – Mike Radigan – No Report
WATER COMMITTEE – John Wakeman – No Report
WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR – Rick Finke – Rick has just spent two days in Escanaba for the Fall Meeting where security of water systems was a big issue.
WELLHEAD PROTECTION – Rick Finke – No Report
- Insurance for Antique Jeep - We have received a quote from Hannula agency for liability insurance for limited use on the 1948 Jeep of $82 per year. MM/S Johnson/Ellis to accept this quote and reduce the cost of insurance on the jeep. Vote –Ayes-5, Nays-0
- Resolution to Return Float Copper to Keweenaw County. –No information has been received from Tom Poynter. This item will be removed from the agenda.
- Hunting Lodge Update – The County Zoning and Planning Board did not clarify the definition of a Hunting Lodge.
- Grant Funds for Defibrillator – The funds referred to in the October meeting are no longer available. George Hite will contact Keweenaw County Sheriff to see if he knows of other funds available. Doug Schubert volunteered to steer a fundraiser to provide funds to purchase a defibrillator. A message was received through Anne Boggio that Carol Engleman would be willing to provide training in the use of the defibrillator. There are also others available in the Keweenaw who are qualified to provide this training. We have 4-6 people who are willing to take first responder training as soon as it is offered.
- Approval of New Solid Waste Manager – MM/S Olson/Lantz to approve the hiring of Mike Braman as Solid Waste Manager. Vote Ayes–5 Nays-0 Motion Carried. MM/S Olson/Ellis to pay Managers Pay retroactive to October 20 –the day he was actually hired. Vote Ayes–5 Nays-0 Motion Carried
- Dollar Limits on Capital Expense – The Auditor has informed us that the Board takes action on the dollar amount for capital expense. Her suggestion was that $500 was a good place to start. There was discussion on whether cost or type of item should determine what is a capital expense. This item was tabled in order to gather more information.
- Solid Waste Keys for Lakeside Lodge – Doug Johnson has requested keys to the Solid Waste Chain and Compactor. Our policy has been to give keys to any business that pays the commercial rate for solid waste. A set of keys for the Solid Waste Site will be given to Mr. Johnson.
- Additional Computer System for Office – A proposal was presented to the board for the purchase of a second computer and upgrade of office furniture and storage. The total cost would be approximately $4000. We have extra revenue because of higher census count that produced more State Revenue Sharing for the Township. MM/S Lantz/Ellis to purchase the items in the proposal Vote Ayes-5, Nays-0
- Amendment to Land Division Ordinance – Proposed amendments to the Township Land Division Ordinance were:
- Decrease the fee for an application for land subdivision in Eagle Harbor Township from the present $100 to $50 for those who apply before making the land division.
- Establish a fee of $100 for person(s) who apply after already having established the land division.
- Require that the minimum width of a subdivided parcel be set at a minimum of 200 foot frontage as determined by the Land Division Administrator.
- The Eagle Harbor Township Board will designate a Land Division Administrator to carry out the provisions of the Ordinance, and if the person proposing the land division disagrees with the Administrators decision, then within 10 days of the decision, that person can appeal the decision to the Eagle Harbor Township Board which will act upon it no later than at the next Township Board meeting.
MM/S Lantz/Johnson to adopt the amendments to the Land division Ordinance. Roll Call Vote- Ayes: Sherk, Olson, Johnson, Ellis, Lantz. Nays: None. Motion Carried. The Amendments will be effective on the date of publication.
- Additional Capital Outlay – Items to be considered:
- Sand for the Volley Ball Court – already ordered
- Gravel for the Parking Lot – already ordered
- Sound System for Community Building – Should be purchased from fund raiser funds
- Defibrillator – MM/S Lantz /Ellis to purchase one defibrillator and look for other funding to purchase a second defibrillator. Vote Ayes – 5, Nays – 0 Motion Carried.
- Land Acquisition
- Cemetery Fence, Required by Law. Cedar trees planted last year to establish the cemetery boundary have been eaten by the deer.
- Water Meters – Water department needs replacement of approximately 50 meters that are broken or need remote readout.
- Rainy Day Fund
- Variance Requests – There were no variance requests.
- There was no additional public comment.
- MM/S Lantz/Ellis to adjourn. Ayes - 5, Nays – 0 Meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
Eagle Harbor Township Clerk
- CERTIFICATION –
I, the undersigned, Jeane Olson, the duly qualified and elected clerk for the Township of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Township Board of said Township at a regular board meeting held on the 12th day of November, 2001.
Eagle Harbor Township Clerk