REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
December 8, 2003
CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Supervisor Douglas Sherk, at the Eagle Harbor Township Hall in Eagle Harbor, called the regular meeting of the Eagle Harbor Township Board to order at 7:00 p.m. on December 8, 2003. Supervisor Sherk led the Pledge of Allegiance.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Trustee Lantz, Treasurer Johnson, Supervisor Sherk, Trustee Ellis, and Clerk Olson
AGENDA APPROVAL AND ADDITIONS:
- Additions to Correspondence: Keweenaw County Mountain Lodge Budget and Eagle River Watershed Project
- Additions to Remarks: Handouts-Dave Kenaga Conservation Easement
- Add to old business: Solid Waste Signs & Options for Fire Truck Financing
- Add to New Business: Master Plan Grant, Keweenaw County Zoning and CFR Removal of Dunes Marshes Land.
MM/S Olson/Johnson to approve the agenda with additions. 5 Ayes, 0 Nays - The Agenda was approved with additions.
CONSENT AGENDA APPROVAL
- Approve minutes of November 8, 2003 regular meeting
- Accept Treasurer’s Report
- Approve Payment of Bills
MM/S Lantz/Johnson to approve Consent Agenda
5 Ayes, 0 Nays – Consent Agenda approved.
CORRESPONDENCE AND SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS:
- Letter from Senator Prusi – Response to Letter on Mobile Home Tax
- Water - #1. Carl Levin’s Office – Response to Request for financial aid for water system
- Water - #2. Reply to Carl Levin’s Office
- Water - #3. Alan Brokaw, re: household income survey
- Equalization Studies for 2003 – Still subject to State review.
- 2004 Budget for Keweenaw County Mountain Lodge
- Eagle River Watershed Project – Houghton Keewenaw Conservation is seeking grant funding for this project.
- Solid Waste Liability Insurance – Township Attorney has reviewed the Waste Management contract and informs us that present insurance meets the Township needs.
- Emergency Management – Chain of Command. Eagle Harbor’s Liaison and Deputy Services Coordinator and Damage Assessment Officer is Mike Hohner.
- Property Owners Letter– Moved to Old Business
- Old Fire Numbers – are being put in numerical order and will be stored in Dick Lantz’s building. Anyone wanting their old number for a memento can pick them up there.
- Land Updates
- Donor Funds – We have received a $1000 donation and $6200 in dedicated commitments for LLR3. We need up to $15000 for a match for grant funds.
- Amended Grant and Purchase Agreement – a math error has been corrected and the total match for the Township will be $63,400 instead of $62,400 as previously reported. Also the purchase of surface rights is not spelled out in grant purchase price. The cost of Surface rights is $9000.
- Conservation Easement – Keweenaw Land Trust has agreed to hold the Conservation Easement for Dunes Marshes Land. Action to be taken under new business.
- BEACH COMMITTEE – Fred Geis – No Report
COMMUNITY BUILDING – Jeane Olson – No Report
- CEMETERY COMMITTEE – No Report
- SEXTON COMMENTS –Mike Braman - No Report
- FIRST RESPONDERS – Bruce Olson – There was an ice rescue at Gratiot Lake today and recognition should be given to the citizens who rescued the victims before the firemen and first responders reached the scene. More information on who was involved is needed. First responders will obtain that information and something can be done at the January meeting. Doug Sherk commented on the fast response of the firemen and first responders to the call. He witnessed the response from Dick Lantz’s residence across from the fire hall.
- HAZARD MITIGATION COMMITTEE - Kris Callog – Jim Boggio suggested that Reid Rastello as Water operator be designated as the person to report power outages in the village.
- HEBARD PLAT COMMITTEE – Jeane Olson – No Report
911 COMMITTEE – Ginny Schubert – The new address numbers have been installed in Eagle Harbor Township. There will be some renumbering along M26. There are still problems in Grant Township. The Master Street Address Guide has not been approved yet and there is no information on when this will happen. It is recommended that you should not change your official address until you have been officially notified of the change. Once the new addresses go into effect at the post office you will have a year to make the change.
- LAND USE COMMITTEE – Inactive
RECREATION COMMITTEE – Barb Sickler – No Report
- PARK COMMITTEE – George Hite – Action on signs under new business.
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT – Mike Radigan
WATER COMMITTEE – John Wakeman - No Report
WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR – Reid Rastello –All leaks have been repaired. Water usage has gone from 132,000 per day gallons in November to 34,000 gallons per day in December. Reid will look into the cost of a propane tank heater for deicing. Supervisor Sherk reported that Reid has finished his probationary period and is due for an increase in his salary to $900 per month beginning January 1, 2004. MM/S Lantz/Johnson to increase uncertified water operator’s salary to $900 per month. Motion carried unanimously with a roll call vote.
WELLHEAD PROTECTION –– No Report
- SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE – Doug Schubert - No Report
- Traffic Signs – MM/S Johnson/Ellis to Table. Motion carried unanimously.
- Solid Waste Facility Regulations and Signs – MM/S Sherk/Johnson to table. Motion carried.
- Cemetery Stakes Project – Prisoners could make pickets for Township to sell for individual plot fencing. MM/S Lantz/Olson to leave cemetery as it is. 2 ayes, 3 Nays. Motion defeated. MM/S Johnson/Ellis to get information on cost to have the prisoners make the pickets. 4 ayes 1 Nay. Motion carried.
- Fire Truck Survey Letter – Survey letter by Supervisor Sherk was sent out with tax bills. To inform taxpayers and voters and to obtain information on options for funding for a second fire truck. MM/S Sherk/Olson to table recommendations until more replies have been received. Results will be compiled for the January meeting. Motion carried unanimously.
- SBC Telecommunications Permit – Permit is for lines already in place. Corrections for maps have been submitted but will take at least 3 months to correct. Clerk Olson recommends issuing the permit with the provision that the maps be corrected and the corrections forwarded to the Township and the State in three months. MM/S Johnson/Ellis to issue the permit with the provision that the maps be corrected and forwarded to Township and State in three months. Motion carried unanimously. Clerk Olson will issue the permit.
- Water Fund Budget Revisions – Recommended Water Fund Budget revisions:
- Increase Account 52000 Repairs to $17000 to cover the cost of water repairs made.
- Increase Account 52200 Vehicle Expense to $1000 to cover the projected cost of regular maintenance and new tires.
- Increase Account 52500 Supplies to $2500 to cover the current and projected cost of supplies for Water Department.
- Increase Account 53000 Postage to $400 to cover the cost of current and projected postage.
- Increase Account 60000 Misc. Expense to $2000 to cover the cost of current and projected misc. expenses.
Total increase in expenses - $14,950.
MM/S Johnson/Sherk to Accept the Water Fund Budget Revisions. Motion carried unanimously with a roll call vote.
Recreation Area Sign – George Hite has worked with Mark McEvers to come up with a sign design and cost estimate. Questions from the Board on details of the design. MM/S Olson/Lantz to table until more cost estimates are available. Motion carried unanimously.
Dunes Marshes Project
- MM/S Sherk/Lantz to authorize the Supervisor to sign the LSL purchase agreement for $282,000, the surface rights purchase for $9000 and CFR removal fees of $15850.80 and additional closing costs up to $3000 from the Land Acquisition Fund. Motion carried unanimously with a roll call vote.
- MM/S Sherk/Olson to apply for and accept the MCMP funds of $247,200 into the Land Acquisition Account for the grant funding portion of the Dunes Marshes 360 acre project for land acquisition, surface rights purchase, closing costs and CFR removal cost as provided by the MCMP grant agreement amendment already approved. Motion carried unanimously.
- MM/S Sherk/Lantz to authorize the Supervisor to accept the Keweenaw Land Trust Proposal to provide us with a conservation easement agreement as outlined in their letter of December 5, 2003, for a maximum of $7700 which agreement is to be acceptable to KLT, EHT and grantor MCMP funded by the EHT/MCMP grant amendment funding agreement. Motion carried unanimously with a roll call vote.
- MM/S Sherk/Olson to authorize the Supervisor to expend up to $300 from the Land Acquisition Fund /MCMP conservation easement grant funds provided for in the EHT/MCMP funding provided for in our grant amendment funding agreement for our legal documents for the conservation easement. Motion carried unanimously with a roll Call Vote.
- LLR3 new NAWCA Project – MM/S Sherk/Johnson to accept new donor commitments/donations to the Land Acquisition Fund specifically for the purchase of LLR3 (173.3 acres in section 12 of EHT T58N-R31W) through the NAWCA Grant process, with the understanding that if donors do not come forth and keep commitments to provide the funds when they are needed that the Board is not obligated to make up the difference, and providing that if LLR3 is turned down that any donated funds can be applied in the future to the same parcel or if that is not feasible, then to alternative land acquisition projects for similar preservation and public access/use purposes. Motion carried unanimously.
- Master Plan Grant – There is nothing more the Township wants done on the Master Plan for the recreation area. MM/S Johnson/Lantz to decline the $5000 grant for additional funds for Master Planning and to submit a letter to the grantor to that effect. Motion carried unanimously.
- Keweenaw County Zoning – MM/S to Support and authorize the supervisor to work on tasks outlined in the Wyckoff Zoning Proposal. Motion carried unanimously.
MM/S Sherk/Johnson to authorize the Supervisor to set up an advisory committee to the Township Board to pursue and complete the tasks in the Wyckoff Zoning Proposal.
ZONING VARIANCE REQUESTS- None
PUBLIC COMMENT-Janet Shea reported that the Zoning Committee is working well, meetings are well attended and they are making wonderful progress. Keewenaw County Road Commission is looking into winterizing Keweenaw Mountain Lodge.
MM/S Johnson/Olson to adjourn. Motion carried unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 9:00 p.m.
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township
- CERTIFICATION –
I, the undersigned, Jeane Olson, the duly qualified and elected Clerk for the Township of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Township Board of said Township at a regular board meeting held on the 8th day of December, 2003.
Jeane Olson, Clerk
Eagle Harbor Township