REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
December 10, 2001
CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: The regular meeting of the Eagle Harbor Township Board was called to order at 7:00 p.m. on December 10, 2001 by Supervisor Douglas Sherk, at the Eagle Harbor Township Hall in Eagle Harbor. Supervisor Sherk led the Pledge of Allegiance.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Supervisor Sherk, Clerk Olson, Treasurer Johnson, Trustees Ellis and Lantz
MEMBERS ABSENT: None
AGENDA APPROVAL AND ADDITIONS Supervisor Sherk added three items to the agenda:
Under new business:
Review of Insurance by Bill Jacka
Permission to apply for Fire Truck Grant
Eliza Lake Restoration Resolution
The agenda was approved with these additions.
CONSENT AGENDA APPROVAL
- Approve minutes from November12, 2001 regular meeting
- Approve Minutes from December 3, 2001 Special Meeting
- Accept Treasurers Report
- Approve Payment of Bills with addition of Keweenaw Consulting bill for $555.27
MM/S Ellis/Lantz to approve Consent Agenda
5 Ayes, 0 Nays - Motion Carried
SUPERVISORS REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE:
- Letter on Water System Inspection Our water system has passed the State inspection. Copy Attached
- NAWC Correspondence. Copy Attached
- Petition in Support of Keweenaw Academy. MM/S Ellis/Johnson to send a letter to State Representative to get support for Keweenaw Academy to recruit students from the entire state. There is also a Petition available to circulate if anyone is interested.
- Evaluation Studies Supervisor Sherk informed the Township Board that the Equalization Report for 2001-2002 has been received from the County.
- DEQ Permit Extensions The Board usually does not need to take action on requests for extensions.
- Special Meeting Minutes - Supervisor Sherk read the minutes of the special meeting with the Fire Department because there were not many residents at that meeting.
BEACH COMMITTEE Fred and Colleen Geis No Report
CEMETERY COMMITTEE Ginny Schubert No Report
SEXTON COMMENTS Mike Braman No Report
COMMUNITY BUILDING Nancy Clarkson No report
HAZARD MITIGATION COMMITTEE Chris Callog The Committee met in November and will meet again in January. They are Identifying hazards and developing a plan to deal with these hazards.
HEBARD PLAT COMMITTEE Jeane Olson No Report
LAND USE COMMITTEE Barbara Been They are working on objectives and strategies for WUPPDR. A countywide plan will be developed from information gathered from all Township Surveys. George Hite and Virginia Jamison will be E.H. Twp Representatives. The target date for completion is September 2002.
911 COMMITTEE - Doug Schubert There will be a meeting Saturday, December 15, in Copper Harbor, with the addressing people.
PARK COMMITTEE George Hite absent Supervisor Sherk reported that a temporary sign to display the DNR Plaque would be mounted on the fence at the pump house and a more permanent sign would be constructed at a later date.
RECREATION COMMITTEE Barb Sickler No Report
SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE Bruce Olson Window frames have rotted out in the solid waste building and have been boarded up temporarily. Will either be replaced or permanently closed in the summer. We can probably wait until Christmas before ordering a new compactor.
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT Ed Stoneman reported that a pumper truck like the one we have, with minimal equipment to classify it as a Class 1pumper, would be $230,000. 2% of that purchase price should be added for each year before purchase. Housing a truck at Keweenaw Academy is not an option. The building at Gratiot Lake is not worth refurbishing. A written statement was read from Mike Radigan requesting permission to apply for an RDA grant application.
WATER COMMITTEE John Wakeman No Report
WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR Rick Finke A water leak at Bachs has been repaired the curb stop has been replaced. The water is safe to drink
WELLHEAD PROTECTION Rick Finke No Report
- Grant Funds for Defibrillator Supervisor Sherk has contacted Sheriff Lahti who is willing to come to our meeting and talk to us about using the defibrillator and methods to obtain one. A new one would cost $2500 and a refurbished one would cost $1800. They should be the same brand as the others in the County. Supervisor Sherk will contact the Sheriff to have him talk at our January meeting.
- Dollar Limits on Capital Expense Tabled
- Amendments to Land Ordinance Publishing of amendments has been put on hold until new information can be investigated. We may have to revise our original amendments before publication.
- Additional Computer System for Office The Office upgrade has been completed. The cost was $638.00 less than estimated because of sales and rebates.
- Collection of CCISD School Taxes for Summer 2002 Eagle Harbor Township has received a letter requesting us to collect the school taxes for the year 2002. We will collect the taxes and bill them for our expenses as we have done in the past.
- County Resolution to Block Tax Free Lands. This resolution would be counter to the desires of the majority of the taxpayers and residents who made their wishes known by answering the Land Use Survey. Our township and the County are trying to acquire lands for recreation and preservation and if we were had to pay taxes on these lands we would not be able to do this. MM/S Lantz/Ellis to not support a resolution to block tax free lands. Ayes 5, Nays 0 Motion Carried.
- Building Inspector Contract Eagle Harbor Township Board would like to receive a copy of the building permit application and have 5 days to review and respond to the building inspector before a permit is issued. MM/S Ellis/Johnson Ayes 5, Nays 0 Motion Carried. Supervisor Sherk will notify the County of our decision.
- Review of Insurance by Bill Jacka Bill Jacka has graciously offered to review the Township Insurance policies free gratis. He will make recommendations and we can decide whether we need to upgrade our insurance. MM/S Olson/Lantz to accept his generous offer. Ayes 5, Nays 0 Motion Carried.
- Permission to apply for Fire Truck Grant MM/S Ellis/Johnson for the VFD to submit an application for a grant for a new fire truck. Ayes 5, Nays 0 Motion Carried.
Holiday Dinner Rick Finke requested permission to prepare a holiday dinner for the prisoners. MM/S Lantz/Ellis to allocate up to $150 to this dinner. Roll Call Vote: Ayes Ellis, Sherk, Olson, Lantz, Johnson. Nays 0 Motion Carried.
Variance Requests There were no variance requests.
- Eliza Lake Restoration A Resolution is needed to apply for a Great Lakes Restoration Grant to help with the restoration of Lake Eliza. MM/S Johnson/Lantz to adopt the resolution. Roll Call Vote: Ayes Johnson, Olson, Sherk, Lantz, Ellis, Nays None. Supervisor Sherk declared the resolution adopted.
- There was no additional public comment.
- MM/S Olson/Johnson to adjourn. Ayes - 5, Nays 0 Meeting adjourned at 8:49p.m.
Eagle Harbor Township Clerk
I, the undersigned, Jeane Olson, the duly qualified and elected clerk for the Township of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Township Board of said Township at a regular board meeting held on the 10th day of December, 2001.
Eagle Harbor Township Clerk