EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
DECEMBER 14, 1998
MEETING CALLED TO ORDER: 7:00 PM by Supervisor, Jim Boggio
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
MEMBERS PRESENT: Jim Boggio, Gerald Johnson, Donald Keith, Jeane Olson
MEMBERS ABSENT: John Clarkson
MINUTES: MM/S Keith/Johnson to approve the November minutes - Vote 4-0
TREASURER’S REPORT: Report dated November, 1998 was accepted
APPROVAL OF BILLS: MM/S Keith/Johnson to approve expenditure list dated December 14, 1998. Vote 4-0
SUPERVISOR’S REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE: No comments
Volunteer Fire Department - Mike Radigan (Absent)
Water & Wellhead Protection Committee - John Wakeman No report.
Cemetery Committee – Ginny Shubert (Absent)
Solid Waste Committee - Bruce Olson – Supervisor Boggio noted that the Solid Waste Fund was in good condition and that neither he nor Office Manager Ann Johnson anticipated the need for a solid waste fee rate adjustment in 1999.
Beach Committee - Vern Robinson (Absent)
Recreation Committee - Barb Sickler - (Absent)
- Fire Tuck: Ann Johnson reported that the Township had responded to Rural Development’s request for additional grant application information. George Hite said he anticipated a grant/loan decision by February.
- Assessor Position: Assessor Bob Taylor reported that he had negotiated a service agreement with Matt Arko in accordance with the Board’s decision at its November meeting to appoint Mr. Arko as Township assessor effective February 1, 1999. Taylor reviewed the agreement terms with the Board and recommended that it be accepted. The agreement provides for Mr. Arko’s services through his firm, Keweenaw Consulting. The term of the agreement is for two years at a rate of $500 per month plus reimbursement of out-of-pocket expenses. Upon motion by Keith and second by Johnson, the Board voted 4-0 to approve the contract with an amendment clarifying that Mr. Arko is to provide the Township with computer file copies of all assessment records.
- Hebard Park Plat: Supervisor Boggio reported that several letters and phone calls had been received in response to the Township’s letter to Hebard Park property owners advising them of discrepancies in the original survey of the subdivision and the township’s possible assistance in resolving the problem through an assessor’s plat. He said he had requested Trustee Jeane Olson and Assessor Bob Taylor so serve as a committee representing the Township to work with the property owners to explore the assessor plat option. He also reported that he had asked property owner Gary Tallon to coordinate and otherwise assist in the communications with property owners about this matter. Gary Tallon was present and reported that there were 45 parcels involved and 41 owners.
- Township Banking. Deputy Treasurer and Office Manager Ann Johnson reported that since National City Bank had purchased First America Bank, the Township had experienced significant increases in fees for various bank services. National City is currently the Board designated depository for all Township funds. She estimated the additional annual cost at about $300. She said that she and Treasurer Gerry Johnson had investigated other banking options and were now recommending the Board designate D & N Bank as the depository bank for the Township’s Trust and Agency Fund, Cemetery Fund, Liquor Fund, and Wellhead Protection Fund. She said that they would continue to investigate options for the Township’s other funds. Upon motion by Johnson and second by Olson, the Board voted 4-0 to accept the recommendation and designate D&N Bank as the depository bank for the four specified funds.
- Board Of Review Appointments. Supervisor Boggio recommended the appointment of Bruce Olson, Robert Crampton, and Fred Bieti to two-year terms as the Township’s Board of Tax Review. (Board hears appeals to property assessments.) He further recommended that Bob Masnado be appointed as an alternate member. Upon motion by Olson, second by Keith, the Board voted 4-0 to approve the appointments.
- Deputy Clerk Appointment. Supervisor Boggio reported the appointment of Bruce Wagner as Deputy Clerk effective January 1, 1999. Nancy Clarkson, current deputy, has announced her resignation from the position.
- Isle Royale Boater’s Association. Supervisor Boggio reported that Agate Harbor resident Fred Bieti had requested the board to adopt a resolution supporting the Isle Royale Boater’s Association in their efforts to have the National Park Service (NPS) adopt Alternative A (status quo) as the preferred alternative for the General Management Plan for Isle Royale. The Boater’s Association is concerned about the removal of some docks in the NPS’s designated preferred alternative. Johnson noted that he had not had the opportunity to review the NPS General Management Plan document and moved that the request be tabled. Second by Keith. Motion carried. George Hite noted that the public process of developing and reviewing the five General Management Plan alternatives had been underway for the past four years and that the public comment period was now closed. He also noted that the Boater’s Association had recently announced its intent to file legal action against the NPS if it adopted its designated preferred alternative. Supervisor Boggio noted that a significant portion of Isle Royale National Park was in Eagle Harbor Township and wished that the Township had been involved earlier in the process.
PUBLIC COMMENT. No comment.
ADJOURNMENT: 7:55 PM MM/S Johnson/Keith - Vote 4-0
John M. Clarkson, Clerk Jim Boggio, Supervisor