REGULAR MEETING MINUTES
EAGLE HARBOR TOWNSHIP BOARD
May 12, 2003
CALL TO ORDER AND PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE: Supervisor Douglas Sherk, at the Eagle Harbor Township Hall in Eagle Harbor, called the regular meeting of the Eagle Harbor Township Board to order at 7:00 p.m. on April 14, 2003. Supervisor Sherk led the Pledge of Allegiance.
MEMBERS PRESENT: Trustee Lantz, Treasurer Johnson, Supervisor Sherk, Trustee Ellis, Clerk Olson
AGENDA APPROVAL AND ADDITIONS:
Addition to Supervisor Remarks Soil Survey Ceremony
Correction under New Business-add /Emergency Services Millage to Fire Truck Financing
Addition to New Business: Donation Acceptance Resolution, Resolution/Letter of Commitment for LLR2 and Backup Water Employee
MM/S Lantz/Johnson to accept the agenda with additions & corrections. 5 Ayes, 0 Nays - Agenda was approved.
CONSENT AGENDA APPROVAL
- Approve minutes of April 14, 2003 Regular Meeting
- Approve minutes of May 1, 2003 Special Board Meeting with Fire Department
- Accept Treasurers Report
MM/S Johnson/Lantz to approve Consent Agenda with additions to payment of bills.
5 Ayes, 0 Nays Consent Agenda approved.
SUPERVISORS REMARKS AND CORRESPONDENCE:
- LLR2 Final papers are being prepared for June filing for proposal
- Eliza Dam Project Jim Boggio will set up a meeting with Trout Unlimited.
- Board of Review Report Supervisor Sherk commended Bruce Olson, Barbara Gilbert, Ron Kowalewski and Assessor Matt Arko for the work done on Board of Review.
- Equalization Report for 2003 Has been received and is on file in the Township Office.
- Eliza Lake Trout Planting Probably will not be done this year. There may be too many weeds in the lake.
- 911 Sign Changes Direction letters will be removed from all street signs except North Street.
- Leveling Playgrounds Possible new location for skating rink needs leveling and ball yard needs some leveling. Doug Sherk will get estimates and ask the Recreation Committee for recommendations.
- Quincy-Franklin VFD Chicken BBQ Scheduled for June 8, 2003
- Ham Radio Operator "Thank You" letter has gone out to Dennis Royce.
- Letter to Michigan Department of Corrections-Letter to be sent commending work crew and crew leader.
- Beach Abutments Dangerous pieces have been removed thanks to Jim Boggio.
- Gratiot Road Updates Seal coating will be done in July and August.
- Ordinance Inquiry Letter to Donna Jaaskelainen asking for update on Greenwood ordinance violation.
- Soil Survey Ceremony-Final Acre Ceremony set for Wednesday, May 28, 2003 at 1 p.m.
BEACH COMMITTEE Fred Geis No Report
CEMETERY COMMITTEE Ginny Schubert Prisoners have been working on installing fence at cemetery. Cemetery cleanup is scheduled for Saturday, May 17.
SEXTON COMMENTS Mike Braman - No Report
COMMUNITY BUILDING Nancy Clarkson Clerk Olson read a letter of resignation from Nancy Clarkson. All reservations for community building will go through the Township Office. We will need someone to take over the duties of cleaning the Community Building before and after events and also to clean the public bathrooms for the summer. Anyone who is interested in taking over these duties please contact the Township Office.
FIRST RESPONDERS Bruce Olson K.E.D.s extrication device - a device for removing accident victims from vehicles was on display. Also the county has provided the First Responders with jackets to help in identification on first responder calls.
HAZARD MITIGATION COMMITTEE Kris Callog No Report
HEBARD PLAT COMMITTEE Jeane Olson- 4 more Property Line Agreements have been signed.
LAND USE COMMITTEE Inactive
911 COMMITTEE Doug Schubert Addressing is 80% done. Should be finished by summertime. Signs, poles & brackets have been ordered and will be installed by the County. When finished addresses will be posted at the Township Hall.
PARK COMMITTEE George Hite No Report
RECREATION COMMITTEE Barb Sickler No Report
SOLID WASTE COMMITTEE Doug Schubert "Paper products only" sign has been installed by the burn barrel at the solid waste site. Bay Electric has started the Maintenance program.
VOLUNTEER FIRE DEPARTMENT Mike Radigan A grant from the County has provided 6 additional radios for the Fire Department so every fireman now has a radio.
WATER COMMITTEE John Wakeman - No Report
WATER SYSTEM OPERATOR Rick Finke Water is safe to drink. Copper & lead samples will be taken again in June. Water at the Cemetery and the Hill will be turned on Tuesday if repairs are done. There are 3 other leaks in the water system that need repair.
WELLHEAD PROTECTION Rick Finke Dick Supina is looking at grants for wellhead protection to see if we qualify.
- Generator - MM/S Johnson/Olson to table. Vote 5-0. Motion carried.
- Sewage Treatment Land We are still waiting for a purchase agreement from Lake Superior Land Company. If it is determined in the future that the ground in Eagle Harbor is not suitable for additional groundwater discharge (such as septic tank/tile fields), and the Harbor becomes polluted, the residents with failed systems or new residents in the area will need an alternate method to discharge their wastewater. At that time the Township will be responsible for this sewage and may need to consider a centralized wastewater treatment system. Traverse Engineering has advised us that this property is the most suitable site for a central wastewater treatment system for this area. The DEQ has reviewed flow information on Cedar Creek and has determined that during low flow conditions the creek will maintain adequate flow to accept an effluent discharge from a wastewater treatment facility. The primary purpose for the Township to purchase this land now is to protect the Township in the event there is future liability. MM/S Olson/Ellis to Table until Purchase agreement is received. Vote 5-0 Motion Carried
- Little Grand Marais Tabled
- Hunters Point Purchase MM/S Johnson/Lantz to send a letter to Grant Township supporting and encouraging the efforts of Grant Township to purchase and preserve Hunters Point at Copper Harbor. Vote 5-0. Motion Carried.
- Corporate Resolution MM/s Johnson/Lantz to adopt a resolution to set up a corporate account at Edward Jones in order to receive and dispose of donations of shares of stock. Roll call vote-Ayes Sherk, Olson, Johnson, Ellis, Lantz. Nays None. Resolution Passed.
- Master Plan Grant Quarterly Reports to be handled by George Hite and Pat Coleman.
- Dunes Marshes Purchase Agreement - The Donation of the $60,000 match has been received and we have verbal notice that the Grant has been approved.
- Zoning Issues Meeting Invitation from Grant Township to join in their Training Program presented by Mark Wyckoff. Cost to Eagle Harbor Township would be approximately $1800. Supervisor Sherk felt that at least 3 board members should be attend to justify the expense. Three board members were not available to attend so no action was taken. We will inform Grant Township that we will not be participating in their program.
- Delinquent Water Customers There were three delinquent water accounts. One has been paid; one says check is in the mail and no response from the third. MM/S Sherk/Lantz to send a certified letter to that account to attempt to collect the amount owed. Vote 5-0 Motion Carried
- New Fire Truck Financing /Emergency Services Millage This would be a new additional millage to pay for a new fire truck and provide funds for other emergency services such as, but not limited to, First Responders and Hazard Mitigation. MM/S Sherk/Johnson to hold a special election to propose a levy of 1 mill for 15 years for a new fire truck and other emergency services. Bonding Attorneys will determine exact wording. Roll Call Vote: Ayes Johnson, Olson, Sherk, Lantz, Ellis. Nays None. Motion Carried. MM/S Olson Lantz to set the date for the special election for Tuesday, August 12, 2003.Vote 5-0. Motion Carried. That date will be submitted to the County Election Scheduling Committee.
- Township Water Service Policy/Plans Supervisor Sherk will develop forms for access, and transmittal of defects and or recommendations to the user. Documentation of water operator hours will be requested. There will also be mapping of the water system by Rick Finke and Don Keith. Student help may be available to help with the mapping. Other operational policies will be developed as needed.
- Resolution for Electronic Transfer of Funds Public Act 738 of 2002 requires Townships to adopt a resolution authorizing the electronic transfer of funds. Eagle Harbor Township pays the electrical and phone bills by automatic debit from checking account. We have also received some grant funds that were direct deposited to our account. MM/S Johnson/Olson to adopt this resolution. Roll Call Vote: Ayes Ellis, Sherk, Olson, Lantz, Johnson. Nays None. Resolution adopted. Treasurer Ann Johnson will present the ACH policy at the June meeting.
- Water System Funds Update - MM/S Sherk/Johnson to pass a resolution to request funds for updating the Eagle Harbor Water System from our Senators and Representative in Washington D.C. Roll Call Vote: Ayes Lantz, Johnson, Ellis, Sherk, Olson. Nays None. Resolution Passed.
- Request for County Funds MM/S Johnson/Lantz to ask County Commissioner Don Keith to explore options for funding Eliza Lake Project from County Economic Development Funds. Vote 5-0 Motion Passed
- Donation Acceptance Resolution MM/S Johnson/Ellis to pass a resolution to accept a donation of shares of stock for the purpose of a match for Dunes - Marshes Acquisition Grant. Roll Call Vote: Ayes Olson, Ellis, Johnson, Sherk, Lantz. Nays None. Resolution Passed.
- Resolution/Letter of Commitment for LLR2 MM/S Olson/Lantz to pass a resolution of commitment to use grant funds for the purchase of LLR2 Lands and to file the Notice of Grant Agreement as a lien on these 176.3 acres. Roll Call Vote: Ayes Lantz, Ellis, Sherk, Johnson, Olson. Nays None. Resolution passed.
- Backup Water Employee Both water operators support and request the hiring of a water employee that could work and train under current water operator license to obtain certification. An amount for wages would have to be included in the Water Fund Budget. This recommendation will be sent to the water board for consideration. MM/S Johnson/Ellis to table. Vote 5-0
- Rich Probst zoning board member requested a letter to County Board of Commissioners recommending the creation of a separate Parks Commission to oversee the Keweenaw Mountain Lodge and other County Parks. Motion by Doug Sherk to table until June meeting. Sherk withdrew his motion. MM/S Lantz/Johnson to write the letter. Vote 4-1 Motion Carried.
ZONING VARIANCE REQUESTS- None
PUBLIC COMMENT- None
MM/S Olson/Johnson to adjourn. 5 Ayes, 0 Nays Meeting adjourned at 9:30 p.m.
Eagle Harbor Township Clerk
I, the undersigned, Jeane Olson, the duly qualified and appointed Clerk for the Township of Eagle Harbor, Keweenaw County, Michigan, DO HEREBY CERTIFY that the foregoing is a true and complete copy of certain proceedings taken by the Township Board of said Township at a regular board meeting held on the 12th day of May, 2003.
Eagle Harbor Township Clerk